Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln SP-175Plus

my hobart 180 has worked fine for just about anything around the house....usually dont have to turn it up much when welding....i got mine with a helmet, gloves, regulator, and stand for around 700

Quote Originally Posted by CJ4
    my hobart 180 has worked fine for just about anything around the house....usually dont have to turn it up much when welding....i got mine with a helmet, gloves, regulator, and stand for around 700

Where'd you get yours from?

I've been looking at both the lincoln 175 plus and the hobart 180 now.
    Only differences I've seen is that the lincoln will do up to 1/2" with an additional kit and hobart will do up to 5/16".

I'm not sure how much 1/2 stuff I'd be doing, but it would be nice to have the capability.

Looking like about 760 for the lincoln and 650 for the hobart.

try here, we got our welder and plasma cutter from them.

http://store.cyberweld.com/migwelders.html
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Dang that place is right down the road from me, DANG!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Any comments as to the hobart welding up to 5/16" only? Can you use a different wire to weld thicker, or just do more passes?

Is the lincoln worth the extra $80?

Yea you can weld thicker with multiple passes. The lincoln doesn't weld 1/2" in one pass either.

If you can get a Hobart for the price you want don't be scared by the guys saying they suck or whatever. It will do just fine. When I was oilfield trash last summer I saw a lot of people using hobarts and these guys work 90+ hours a week welding pipeline and welding onto casings. These are arc welders so maybe they're a step above the mig but they sure as hell can take abuse.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Alright, I've started looking back into welders lately, to have one around the shop so I don't have to bum welding services all the time.

I've been thinking about just getting a decent stick to have around, but that limits me as far as doing some lighter work and on tubing for the sliders. So, I've been looking at the hobart 180. Anyone ever used this one before? I've found a pretty decent deal on it, so I might just go ahead and buy and ask questions later, but figure I'd try on here real quick.

Also, whats it cost to have someone come out and run a 240 outlet to the garage? I assume it's something that needs to be done by a certified electrician, correct? Or is that something I can do myself without dieing?

If you can't weld sliders with a stick you suck.

Get the hobart 180, I like those. Been thinking of getting one for when I build me buggy. Probably won't anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    Alright, I've started looking back into welders lately, to have one around the shop so I don't have to bum welding services all the time.

I've been thinking about just getting a decent stick to have around, but that limits me as far as doing some lighter work and on tubing for the sliders. So, I've been looking at the hobart 180. Anyone ever used this one before? I've found a pretty decent deal on it, so I might just go ahead and buy and ask questions later, but figure I'd try on here real quick.

Also, whats it cost to have someone come out and run a 240 outlet to the garage? I assume it's something that needs to be done by a certified electrician, correct? Or is that something I can do myself without dieing?
    The wiring isnt' hard to do... How the hell did our house on austin st. burn down again?

I've had the Hobart 175 for years and it's never given me any problems. I can't say much fro the 180 as I've never used it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    I like my millermatic 175. It has the infinite controls on it. I was welding some rusted floor board and you can turn it down to low.

edit i was using the .023/.024 wire so that does help too. My welder also has stickers on it so I am sure that helps out as well.
    Last edited by fbronco86; 10-31-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Alright, well I've read some reviews on line and I think it'll work fine, I'll probably pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone dealt with any local electricians on wiring for 240?

Anyone dealt with any local electricians on wiring for 240?
    Seriously the wiring isn't pretty simple. Do you have a drier near by or perhaps an electric water heater? I can help you out with it.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    Seriously the wiring isn't pretty simple. Do you have a drier near by or perhaps an electric water heater? I can help you out with it.
    Isn't or is?
    Don't want my brother's house going the way of yalls austin crib....

The drier outlet is right on the other side of the wall I want to put it on, and the water heater is on the adjacent wall. I just didn't know if it was something that needed to be inspected or if it'll get my bro in trouble when we sell the place in two years.

Isn't or is?
    Don't want my brother's house going the way of yalls austin crib....

The drier outlet is right on the other side of the wall I want to put it on, and the water heater is on the adjacent wall. I just didn't know if it was something that needed to be inspected or if it'll get my bro in trouble when we sell the place in two years.
    Sorry it is pretty simple, I don't know whats wrong with me.

We have no idea why our house burnt down. It happened after we moved out. It's always kinda fun to joke about though.

Is the drier gas or electric? If it's electric we can just make an extension cord. If it's gas, we can just rob the outlet completly.

Seriously, to do it right it's 4 wires, 3 if you want to do it without a ground.
    1988 Blazer...RIP