Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln SP-175Plus

I bought a mig, for what we do they just seem alot easier to me. No slag, don't have to switch rods, cold tip, etc... However, they are more expensive, you have to worry about gas once in a while, and the metal has to be reasonably clean.

Arc's are much cheaper and can do something's mig welders can't.

Edit: ask eric why he's selling his arc, probably getting a mig
    Last edited by Doug Krebs; 11-01-2006 at 12:48 PM.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I'd go with a mig, and I'd have someone that knows what they are doing weld the inner c's back on with an arc and the right rods. The rest you'll be happy you have a mig.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

you can do that w/ a stick. it would be harder. not look as pretty unless you been at it for a while. A stick is good for it's portabilty and ease of use in weird areas. for instance when I was working at the co-op we would pull the truck around the mill. ground the welder to one of the support legs. ride the elevator to the top. lower a rope and hoist the stinger back up over 100 ft sometimes and start welding 80-100 feet off the ground. you could be welding in all of 20 min. and be done w/ it.
    A stick is a good field repair welder and good for heavy stuff. It takes a big and expensive MIG to weld 1/2" plate in a few passes.
    there is nothing wrong w/ a stick. I prefer it for certain things. if your trying to kluge **** together then a stick works great. you can cut aluminum w/ it too. For a first welder it would do most of what you want and probably make better (stonger) ugly welds then the pretty ones you would make w/ a MIG.
    Start-up wouldn't cost much and if you decide on a MIG later you can always get that and keep the inexpensive stick sitting in the corner for those rainy days.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 11-01-2006 at 01:04 PM.

Ask Flem about welders and rainy days!

Everything you've described that an arc is great for, is crap I've never welded. It just depends on what you're working on. for the hobbyist automotive guy, I think an arc is damn near useless compared to a Mig. Now St.John will tell you both are worthless, and TIG is the only way. It's just what you are used to.
    Boats and hoes

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    mig is hard to use on a windy day if you don't have a garage to work in. Like jimmy said though, it's all personal preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

Flux core! I hadn't used it much, worked badass on the wrought iron.
    Boats and hoes

Alright Doug, looked around the house when I got home. No outlet anywhere for the water heater, I guess they planned it gas when building the house (obviously). And the breaker box has 8 open spots, but it's like literally on the other side of the house. I counted 48' down one wall, then 45' down the front of the house to get to the spot in the garage.

I'm thinking it might just be easier to go ahead and make an extension (25-40') and just plug it into the drier's outlet when I need to use it. If you're bored this weekend though, you can stop by, take a look, and have some cerveza fria.

Oh, and I got the hobart 180 with cart and whatnot on clearance for 587.63+tax at TSC. Ought to be put in the good deals section.

does sound like a good deal! An extension cord is the way to go. Easy to wire in, and you'll use it even when it is wired in properly, very handy.
    Boats and hoes

Yea, I was trying to think of some way I could connect it through the wall though, so I don't have to leave the door open with a cord hanging out it when I'm welding. Don't think the door will close easily around that cable. Maybe a doggy door type thing panel in the wall? Any idears?

Drill hole in wall and place plug outside

Yea, I had thought about that, but I was trying to avoid having to buy an extra male and female end, some of dougs jewness rubbed off on me at HD today I guess.

Run a conduit up the wall in the laundry room and into the attic then run the cable over to where you want it in the garage, run the wire all the way through with as much extra as you want then put the ends on.

Oh yeah and dont get a cut in the cable and have the conduit become electrified like at karls house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    Oh yeah and dont get a cut in the cable and have the conduit become electrified like at karls house.

Garret I would suggest not welding the inner Cs on as your first project. There's a reason everybody's first project is a welding table...it's not a big deal if it fails. At the very least have someone else weld them on for you. I am glad I learned on a stick, though the decision was mostly based on cost. It was harder at first but I learned to recognize a strong weld and it made mig super easy when I finally got a chance to try it. You can also weld practically anything with a stick, I think Kopecki's welded wood once. The right rods are hard to find though.

sounds like a good deal on that welder, I'd buy 2 feet of heavy-ass wire and a female socket and punch a hole through the wall. Also get good gloves and a hood with a big lens and some flap disks for your grinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Hopefully I can talk creighton or someone with a stick to weld up the c's for me. I think they would do better on the thick stuff, including that on my list was a typo.

And, the welder cam with the cart, regulator, hose, extra tips, spool of some kind of flux core, helmet, and gloves. Already have the harbor freight plus size pack of flap discs and grinding wheels