Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln SP-175Plus

Yay for me!

Ill be in CS this weekend if ya want me to come by and check out your wiring situatuion

sure, I could use someone who's not scared of electricity to look at it.

Cell's in the signature, just give me a call, I'll probably be busy all day Sat.

your garage looks too clean

I swepty
    plus the po's used it as a game room

Alright dougie, I went to HD today to buy the stuff to make the extension, but I got confused again.

I'm thinking what I can do is use one of those dryer cords with the 4 wires and run that to a 3 wire receptacle in the garage. Dryer cords come with 6', its about 3.5' to the wall. Then, can I connect the 4 wire to the 3 wire plug like we saw at HD? Then I get another 3 wire plug like we looked at, run some 10/3 extension cord material and either splice it in with the existing cord (could use plug from welder) or find one of those black boxes and just plug the welder into that. I still couldnt find one of those at HD, so might have to run to lowes, or do they not make them like what I need for some reason? Otherwise, I could just use a wall mount plug and just build a little tin foil 16/18 ga box for it.

To summarize:
    Drier plug from 220 outlet in laundry room to:
    3 wire receptacle in garage wall to:
    3 wire plug to:
    10/3 cord to:
    3 wire receptacle to:
    welder

Thought again about just having an extension cord, but it wouldnt fit through the door seal with the door closed unless I put a notch in the door jam, which isn't out of the question.

go to praxair, or airgas, I know there is a praxair on airgass and they will be able to hook you up with the right stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    go to praxair, or airgas, I know there is a praxair on airgass and they will be able to hook you up with the right stuff
    fubar that, we'll get raped!

I'll call central electric supply tommorow and check prices. I know they're cheaper than dealers electric. How long of a cord did you want again? I guess I should really just come to your house and check out the situation.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I'm thinking like maybe 35~40 ft so I can run clear to the end of the driveway on a straight shot + the 6' power cord on the welder. If I run straight from the dryer outlet, probably add 8' to that.

So...

how do I go from this

and this

to this

Still not sure if I can just drop one of the wires from the dryer plug and add in the 12/3 and run the 3 prong plug on the other end.

I'm not sure what you're wanting. Are you wanting to extend the dryer circuit into the garage and put a 50 amp outlet in the garage? Or are you wanting to plug that 50 amp plug into that 30 outlet with an adapter? Or do you just want to change that outlet to a 50 amp, or do you want to keep that outlet and put a 50 amp besides it?

I'm trying to make an extension cord for the welder. Want a plug for the dryer receptacle and a receptacle for the welder plug. Don't know about the different types of receptacles/plugs.

So, you just want to put an outlet for the welder right next to the outlet that's there, and then you will use an extension cord from that outlet to the welder? Then what you need to do is put an outlet for the welder next to the dryer outlet, and hook the wires up. It would look best to put the new outlet in the wall to match the existing one, but it'd be easier to just use a plug/box combo that can be screwed to the wall. Make sure you put the second outlet between the same 2 studs as the first so you don't have to run wires through a stud. You do not disconnect any wires from the dryer plug. You should have someone come show you how to hook up the wires. It's real simple but you don't want to **** it up.

No, I want to plug into that outlet with an extension cord for my welder. Can I not do that?

Yea you can do that. Don't see what you're asking then. You know what you want, go buy the ends that match what you need.