Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fj-80

Fj-80

Time for the next victim. I'm looking for a 91-97 toyota FJ-80 landcruiser. The cheaper and newer the better. If you see one on craigslist, on the side of the road, or anywhere else, let me know.

picture of one for the people who don't know what I'm talking about

think big 4runner with coil springs and straight axles

think everyone i've ever seen has a milliion miles and they still want $10k
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

yeah, but the gas crunch and thier age is helping to lower the prices. I've found several 94-97 (the better model FZJ) with 90-150K miles in the 5-8000 dollar price range in the last few weeks. While this may seem high, compared to other toyotas its not bad, especially when you consider these vehicles were luxury rigs, and often pampered. Plus you gotta love stock electric lockers front and rear

I think you'll just get pissed wheeling something like this now.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

perhaps, but this is where I'm at now. I have no place to store a second rig. I also miss having a 4x4 I could drive around town. I want something that can be built in stages, or left stock and still wheel well if I want. I also want something more all weather friendly. The cruiser covers all of these points. In stock form it fits 33's, can be had with lockers, and handles itself well on road and off. Sure its a larger vehicle, but still smaller than many of the rigs in this club. They seem to last forever, considering how many I've seen completely original with 300K+ miles. I don't expect this to be a hardcore wheeler. The buggy was great for that, but was left wanting for a lot of other things. Sure there are other rigs that could do what I want that could be had cheaper, but I've loved the look of the 80 for as long as I can remember. Plus since this is more of a high end vehicle, many of the people building them have no clue what they're doing. They pay for everything, and never think for themselves. This keeps things interesting because not everything has been done before. One guy did a relatively simple conversion from a radius arm design to a 3 link, and everyone acted like it was the most shocking thing they had ever seen. Plus, I'm thinking to the future and my possible plans to move to alaska. A rig like this would work well there

another key thing is I need a vehicle that be built relatively bolt on. No SAS's this time, or stuff like that. I need something that I can drive home, or to a friends house, work on for the weekend, then drive back

where do you guys find money for all this? arn't you still in college? you have a buggy and a 05 Taco, what is the hurry to get something else? why not just focus on graduating and getting a job that can pay for such things.

:shakes head:

ill be your pickup man
    Always liked those rigs. I'll keep a lookout, but yeah they do seem to hold a higher value. I have seen plenty with 200k and still a high price tag.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

The buggy was sold a month ago, when I knew for sure I no longer had a place to go with it. The taco officially goes for sale tommorow. Before, it was something I needed, but now that I no longer have a long commute, nor a fiancee pushing me to get a better truck, I no longer feel the need to keep up the payments. I think that with the sale of the taco, and some money I saved up, I can buy the cruiser with cash, and therefore be done with payments. Then I can toss a little money at it from time to time when I have some extra cash

I am also focused on graduating. There is a limit on how fast I can go though, and I'm doing that. Yeah, I've been here a while, but that was out of my control (**** the school of architecture). The lowest grade I've had in my entire college career was a single D, and I've only dropped a single class at A&M, and 2 at blinn, so I'm not screwing around. I work full time, and don't party much, so playing with 4x4's is one of my few releases

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    The buggy was sold a month ago, when I knew for sure I no longer had a place to go with it. The taco officially goes for sale tommorow. Before, it was something I needed, but now that I no longer have a long commute, nor a fiancee pushing me to get a better truck, I no longer feel the need to keep up the payments. I think that with the sale of the taco, and some money I saved up, I can buy the cruiser with cash, and therefore be done with payments. Then I can toss a little money at it from time to time when I have some extra cash

I am also focused on graduating. There is a limit on how fast I can go though, and I'm doing that. Yeah, I've been here a while, but that was out of my control (**** the school of architecture). The lowest grade I've had in my entire college career was a single D, and I've only dropped a single class at A&M, and 2 at blinn, so I'm not screwing around. I work full time, and don't party much, so playing with 4x4's is one of my few releases
    Might try jerkin off for a release hellva lot cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    now that I no longer have a long commute, nor a fiancee pushing me to get a better truck, I no longer feel the need to keep up the payments. I think that with the sale of the taco, and some money I saved up, I can buy the cruiser with cash, and therefore be done with payments. Then I can toss a little money at it from time to time when I have some extra cash

see the benefits are already showing

i think the one i found needs a 5.3l.

Brandon, some of us worked through college!! I for one mowed yards to make it through!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

yea, wish I had done that Some of us worked in school to pay for it, housing, living expenses, ect., not to just fund our Mazda habit

It makes more sense with some clarified facts, i.e less rigs. I can see where you are coming from now, probability a good compromise between DD and wheel-able. There was one on Craig's a while back with a blown head gasket for 2K, so I am sure deals are out there. I had the same though, with the thought long term of swapping in some bow-tie power.

yeah, my parents have never given me a red cent for living cost or college. Thats why I work so much.

As for engine swaps, I'm definitely interested in that if the need be, but there is a small snag, other than the downtime required. Alaska is touchy with thier emissions, and don't allow engines from other makes swapped in. So I could swap a tundra v8, but not a chevy 350, even if it was newer and passed all emissions. I could still register and drive it during the warmer months, just not during the winter. Diesels are an exception though, and can be swapped into anything, and don't require emmision testing

Put A 6.2 In!!!!!!
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"