Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Check the throttle position sensor(TPS) and MAP(or MAF) sensor for both moisture and corrosion.

Here's how ya do it:

Unplug the TPS. See if it runs any differently. If it runs better there is your problem. It should trigger a check engine light.

If that doesn't work, do the same with the MAP (or MAF).

-Mark
    The Psychic Mechanic
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

Originally posted by StevenAg03
    ....just came home to wash some clothes.....

at least the kid is washing clothes these days....

Krawler68
    Originally posted by bburris

at least the kid is washing clothes these days....
    I think I wouldn't know what to do without that special Steven "Funk"... it's like his signature smell... prolly wat attracted Aggielisa04... he better not wash his clothes too much...

BigRedFord04
    Another question: I've been getting really bad oil blow-back into the breather/air filter box. What is this a sign of?

Rex
    Something similar happened to a friend's Wrangler. They went up to Las cruses and it started running really bad and it sounded like a rod was knocking. It turned out to be a bad injector on the 6th cylinder because crap in the fuel rail slid down on one of the uphills and clogged that injector.

I don't claim to be much of a mechanic but it sounds like its time for the HO 5.0 swap!

BigRedFord04
    from what i've heard, the only difference in an HO 5.0 is that its a regular 5.0 w/ a 5.8 cam and firing order. Been waiting to do that 'til i have to tear into the motor, but its on the list.

I went back up to O'Reillys tonite and went over a bunch of sensors. I finally found the Intake Air Temp Sensor and got that replaced, no improvement. I disconnected the TPS as per Mark's suggestion, ran worse and did cause the check engine light to come on, not it. Forgot to do the MAP sensor, but will try that tomorrow. Also, tried removing the JET control module, ran worse w/o it, not it. I checked over the whole engine compartment again...plug wires are good, couldnt see or hear any vacuum leaks. If i do end up pulling them, is there a way to test injectors?? its looking like the last resort is going to be the problem.

bigFAWKINranger
    Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    from what i've heard, the only difference in an HO 5.0 is that its a regular 5.0 w/ a 5.8 cam and firing order. Been waiting to do that 'til i have to tear into the motor, but its on the list.

I went back up to O'Reillys tonite and went over a bunch of sensors. I finally found the Intake Air Temp Sensor and got that replaced, no improvement. I disconnected the TPS as per Mark's suggestion, ran worse and did cause the check engine light to come on, not it. Forgot to do the MAP sensor, but will try that tomorrow. Also, tried removing the JET control module, ran worse w/o it, not it. I checked over the whole engine compartment again...plug wires are good, couldnt see or hear any vacuum leaks. If i do end up pulling them, is there a way to test injectors?? its looking like the last resort is going to be the problem.
    i thought the HO had different heads on it too... like 351 heads i think... maybe not... i coulda sworn i heard that.

and i'm no mechanic, but i thought you could remove the injector rail while still connected to the fuel line. then crank the motor and see if the injectors are functioning properly. not sure but worth a shot...

BigRedFord04
    hmmm....i'm not sure....i know a 351 Modified is a 351 w/ 400 heads....the Haynes Manual doesnt say anything about testing injectors :-\

Rex
    Isn't there an injector cleaner that you can buy that screws int the schrader valve on the fuel rail? That MIGHT have enough pressure to clean the injector.

Hey Austin,

I know you just replaced a lot of it, but is there any way it could be a clogged exhaust system? Bad cat or maybe even the ol' banana in the tailpipe.

Really though, it does sound like it could be clogged.

~dso
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    the HO motor is the same block as the regular 5.0. However, the heads are a little bit better heads(they are not 351 heads. you have to have an adapter made for 351 heads to fit onto the 302 block since nothing from ford is transferable...)and a higher flow intake. im sure there are several other differences as well...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Krawler68
    Steven-

everything from a 351W should hypothetically fit on a 302 or 289...the blocks are all from the same family. Right?

different deck height

Mike my roomate (FBronco86) told me how to test injectors. Don't take them out, just pull the spark plug wire off, if it runs worse, you know that cylinder is getting gas, if it doesn't run any worse, you know that cylinder isn't getting gas. That will work as long as it isn't your ignition system! - Doug