Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help

froader03
    I think we should start a lottery... draw up squares and sell them for like $5 a pop... proceeds going to the club chilifest fund of course. I've got my money on a krappy piston and/or ring by reason of detonation on #1. too much pressure killed the top ring and maybe cracked the land. this can lead to nasty blowby and/or cylinder wall scores. with no extra crankcase ventilation we have proven old man mark's theory correct. damn. when you first started having this problem I really didn't think it would have gone this far. sorry man.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    sorry to hear that man....here ya go...
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

BigRedFord04
    To Mark's comments:

I have seemed to notice that the oil dipstick doesnt like to stay in the hole in the block and there was oil coming out of it, I just credited it to the mounting bracket being disconnected after installing headers. I tried plugging the breather element and it would blow the PCV valve out of the valve cover within 30 seconds which does show a buildup of pressure, i'm just not sure how much build up would be considered "normal". If that is the case, wouldn't a compression test give a false hope that it is a valve by not reading full compression because it is leaking thru the rings instead of a valve? Shop recommendations? Should I pull the head??

It should never blow the pcv valve out of the hole. When you do a compression test and find a low cylinder, squirt some oil into it. If it's a burnt valve or a hole in the piston, compression will hardly be changed, if it's bad rings the compression will go up to about normal.

My money's on a hole in the piston.
    Last edited by eight; 11-04-2002 at 06:15 PM.

BigRedFord04
    I've never found any vacuum leak and believe me, I've been over/under/around/inside that engine compartment countless times in the past month. If it were a "huge" vacuum leak I'd imagine it would be easy to find, they do make a lot of noise. So, my wishful thinkin' says "piss on that idea". How would any of that contribute to a hole in the piston anyway? If it were hitting the valves wouldnt i have heard loud piston slapping? Rings I could understand, just dont want to

And since you're all putting money on this, how abouts everyone putting money towards helping to pay to fix this.
    Last edited by BigRedFord04; 11-04-2002 at 05:50 PM.

Yea, a vacuum leak would be hard to miss. A vacuum leak will make the cylinder its closest to run lean. Lean fire burns hotter. It can burn hot enough to burn a hole in the piston. I guess a partly clogged injector could do the same thing, but you tested them, all good I guess.

Pull the head. It's a bitch on those engines.

Originally posted by BigRedFord04
    To Mark's comments:

I tried plugging the breather element and it would blow the PCV valve out of the valve cover within 30 seconds which does show a buildup of pressure, i'm just not sure how much build up would be considered "normal".

If that is the case, wouldn't a compression test give a false hope that it is a valve by not reading full compression because it is leaking thru the rings instead of a valve?
    1. There should be no build up of pressure because the PCV valve should allow enough vacuum to scavenge any blow by. If there is not enough vacuum, or too much blow by, pressure will escape through the breather or the dipstick. To see if you have too much blow by, make sure the PCV is working, then pull the breather line. You should feel vacuum when you put a finger over the breather hole. If you get enough pressure to leak past your finger or out the dipstick, you have too much blow by.

2. This is why I recommend a leak down test in addition to a compression test. The compression test narrows down the problem cylinder, the leak down test shows you the problem.

-Mark
    Just when you though it was safe to go back in the water...

BigRedFord04
    Well its lookin' like a pretty nice day, anyone know where i can get a leak down tester? Going to pick up Steve's compression tester after class and see what that tells me. Thx everyone.

froader03
    when did this officially start being a problem? just out of curiousity because you were ROTM and although you didn't roll you have had one of the overall ****tier times with your rig lately. first post was oct. 15 and I know that was close to the time you got nominated. I think the curse is back. anyways... congratulations matt and jimmy!
    Last edited by froader03; 11-05-2002 at 04:34 PM.

BigRedFord04
    I've noticed the oily breather filter for a while now, but it was now where near as bad as it is now. It just started running ****ty the day I drove back from our last llano trip.

fbronco86
    alright i used to have two engines my my bronco that did the oil blowing thing. Out of the dipstick PCV just about everyplace. but one thing is for sure the motor started and ran smooth. I have been told the spark plugs austin that you are using are pos.

BigRedFord04
    I called Vilas Motor Works earlier. Three or four people recommended them at work today and said they do good work. The guy told me if i brought them my heads it was $100 just for them to take them apart and find out whats wrong, valves, check trueing, for cracks, etc...then it would be at the most $250 depending on what all they have to replace (valves, valve guides, springs, etc), and they would restore it to factory specs. This didnt seem TOO bad but what can y'all say from experience?? Still looking for shop recommendations.

BigRedFord04
    Originally posted by fbronco86
    alright i used to have two engines my my bronco that did the oil blowing thing. Out of the dipstick PCV just about everyplace. but one thing is for sure the motor started and ran smooth. I have been told the spark plugs austin that you are using are pos.
    All of that helps me NONE. Did you ever find out what was wrong w/ the motors? I've had these plugs for more than 3 years and they've always burned kleen, besides, they have lifetime warranty and for a $50 set of plugs...FREE always sounds good.

Have you ever had water in the motor? Possibly even if the truck kept running?

Landon and myself both have had good luck with Vilas.

aggielr
    i had the head on my jeep done there, and picked up the set we put on nikki's blazer, the $100 is for disassymbly, cleaning, dipping, checking for cracks and all the general bs, some people told me they took forever and blah blah blah, but they had mine done in 2 days ready to put back on, with nikki's, one of the old ones was cracked, so we just bought the new ones they had there, i would suggest them, even the 100 for checkin and cleanin is worth it, if your goin to pull them anyway