Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: My attempt for more fuel economy.

I got 11 mpg with 4.11s in the burban and 9.5 with 4.56's.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    man them jet skis a heavy load
    Especially when you're going 60 and your RPM is 1500 up hill...

I tow .005% of my miles. My 4th gear now is EXACTLY like my 5th gear used to be and I ONLY used 5th for towing. I guarantee you I will see better fuel milage. 2600 rpm is WAY to high for cruising down the highway. At that speed I could be from 70 to 100 in about 10 seconds. If I can move 20.5k lbs (including truck) in 5th gear BEFORE the injectors why would I worry about moving 6k lbs down the road now? These trucks are geared for towing, not because they would be lugging down the road if they were geared any higher. Even if I only get 1 mpg better I'll be happy because it is 10X quieter on the highway.. Almost like a gasser now.

did you swap out the rearend or regear?

Regear. I kept the 4.10s. When I can afford a gear venders unit I'll go back to the 4.10s and double over drive will be like 4.20 gears.

No, you can't have either of my axles.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    Regear. I kept the 4.10s. When I can afford a gear venders unit I'll go back to the 4.10s and double over drive will be like 4.20 gears.

No, you can't have either of my axles.

something is wrong with your final calculations there. im not sure what the ratio for the gear vendors overdrive is but i assume it is less then one. therefore with 4.10 gears and two overdrives you would be less then 4.20...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

also did you correct your speedometer for the different gears? if not then your actually going faster then the speedo says....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03
    something is wrong with your final calculations there. im not sure what the ratio for the gear vendors overdrive is but i assume it is less then one. therefore with 4.10 gears and two overdrives you would be less then 4.20...
    I wasn't factoring in the first overdrive, just giving a gearing comparison after the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03
    also did you correct your speedometer for the different gears? if not then your actually going faster then the speedo says....
    Sterling 10.25 gears have a speedo ring on them. Only tires change the indicated speed.

not trying to say you are wrong - just not quite getting your math to get 4.2 gears....
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Oops I thought it was his mistake.. 3.20 gears.

don't you think that by the time you can afford some overdrive unit that you'll be ready for a new truck?

Should have sold the truck, now you are wasting money by paying a higher insurance rate for a 4wd.

How much driving are you doing to justify this?

This is the last truck I'm ever going to buy. My next vehicle purchase will be a gas sipping car but I don't want a third vehicle right now. I have thought about other options and this is the one I chose. Can this not be a you should have done this you should have done that thread? I like my truck. I like driving my truck. I like rolling my windows up by hand. I like dragging chains over the bed rails. I like the way it looks. I don't want anything else therefore I'll stick with what I've got and make some improvements to it.

So you get this mileage update yet? Still gonna have to try 3.55s to make sure they're not better. You can probably pick up a sterling with 3.55s for under $100 and sell it to some idiot on the internet for $200.

I have 205 miles and I'm still around half a tank. I generally get 280 or so out of this tank. It will fall off faster on the bottom half. I'm going to fill up tomorrow after school. I know I'll see the best gains when I take a road trip or something, but I'm positive that mileage will be a lot better all around anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    I'm going to fill up tomorrow after school.
    this meaning that you go to school again or that you will fill up when the little kids get out of school?
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500

School again.