Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: My attempt for more fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    remember that more expenses come with a little car that can take the economy out of it.

Registration and Inspection every year
    Insurance

Really depends on how much you drive I guess. Those expenses would be less significant the more you drove. Also, tires, oil, etc... is much cheaper for a little car too.

I didn't realize fords got that crappy of mileage? My brothers dodge quadcab, 8ft bed, dually, got 13-14 pulling my blazer at 70. He usually gets around 18-20 on the hi way.
    he must drive like 65. At 80 i get about 17 and 85 is about 16, but around town I get 22ish (thats where most of my driving is done) but I also shift at 1250 and annoy the crap out of people behind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

honestly, if you buy a cheap used car for a couple grand and drive it 10 or 15,000 miles a year instead of a 15mpg truck, it'll pay off quick. Your insurance probably won't change, because you'll get a multiple vehicle discount as well as taking your expensive rig off DD duty, inspection is $15, reg $60?
    tires for a little POS are $100/4 and $15/yr to change the oil...right Joseph?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    inspection is $15, reg

this is only true for emission exempt counties....
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

honestly, if you buy a cheap used car for a couple grand and drive it 10 or 15,000 miles a year instead of a 15mpg truck, it'll pay off quick. Your insurance probably won't change, because you'll get a multiple vehicle discount as well as taking your expensive rig off DD duty, inspection is $15, reg $60?
    ditto, and I only change the oil every 5-6,000 miles. Mobil says it's good that long and I agree. It's $1500 a year in gas savings assuming 15K miles a year @ 30 mpg instead of 15 mpg @ $3 a gallon. I think keeping the miles off of the car you care about is worth more than the gas savings though. Let the import get the parking lot dings, sun damage, bird ****, "illegal immigrant" hit and runs, drunken j-turn collisions, etc...
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

...right Joseph?

katie's mom is a sharp cookie, no?

What insurance do you have?

Maybe I just have ****ty insurance (geico). For my ford one car, it used to be like $300 for 6 months, if I added the blazer it went up like $150.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

i dont think my state farm full coverage on my truck is that much. the toyota is an additional $130/ 6mons.

edit: im wrong. my ins for three vehicles is about 125/month. so i think the truck is about $450/6mons.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 07-07-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Obviously there are other issues at hand than only saving money. Here are the factors I weighed:

1. I already have 2 vehicles. I don't have room for a third, nor do I want to maintain 3 vehicles.

2. I like driving my truck. I used to borrow my moms car in College Station and I'd still drive my Mazda everywhere. It has good a/c, good power, good radio, I like getting up into in and I don't feel cramped, etc.

3. My truck was loud. 94 decibels at 65 in the cab. 104 db at 75. Those are hearing damage levels.

4. I HAVE to have a truck to move my Mazda and my dirtbike.

5. There is no risk involved with regearing a known good vehicle. If I buy this so called magicly cheap car most likely I am going to inherit someone else's problem. I just can't believe one can buy a reliable car with good tires and a good a/c for cheap.

6. I get 14-15 mpg in my truck.

7. The Mazda is my primary vehicle on insurance.

So now what have I figured out? I don't have time, space or money for a third vehicle. I don't like driving cars around anyway so when I buy one it's going to be a nice one, not a $1000 POS Civic. All this in mind, however, I want MY TRUCK to be quieter and more fuel efficient. I know it runs well, so I'll just regear it. Now I save a little on fuel, I have a quieter truck, yet I only have 2 vehicles to maintain and pay for. I am happy.

I never came on here to ask what the best way to save money on fuel was. I don't recall asking for anyone's opinions. I was making a statement about my approach, which of course isn't the traditional one. Thanks for your concern, however. I'm satisfied... Too bad I couldn't satisfy all of you as well.

Nutz - I Had Your Back Til You Said Something About Satisfying Everyone...
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    5. There is no risk involved with regearing a known good vehicle. If I buy this so called magicly cheap car most likely I am going to inherit someone else's problem. I just can't believe one can buy a reliable car with good tires and a good a/c for cheap.
    2000 Civic for $2000, not saying they are easy to find but they are out there. Ever own a honda? They are more indestructable than Chevy trucks in my experience!! I understand the not wanting to drive it, I hate it, but it sure is cheap to operate, and my inner joo prevails!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I have to side with chadnutz on not wanting to drive a car, I've cruising sanmantha's acura for the past week and a half and not being able to see over my fellow motorists is quite annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    Nutz - I Had Your Back Til You Said Something About Satisfying Everyone...
    You mean you don't swing that way, baby?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    I have to side with chadnutz on not wanting to drive a car, I've cruising sanmantha's acura for the past week and a half and not being able to see over my fellow motorists is quite annoying.
    I didn't know your ass was in town?

I agree with not seeing over other cars... however, the inner joo takes me over and we drive blair's car everywhere we can.

My wifes car I would have to assume is worth less than $2000. It has very good AC and tires are cheap, $50 a piece. If they were 14" rims they'd be even cheaper for tires. Gas mileage is anywhere from 32-36. I loose a little part of my manhood every time i drive the cavalier. However, I wear my yamika (sp?) with pride!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I'm not trying to light a fire here.... This is a video of me lugging from 50 to 70 in overdrive.

http://tamor.us/members-rigs/Movies/Lugging

If noise was such a problem why didnt you just invest in some dynamat or similar sound deadening material?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"