Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: My attempt for more fuel economy.

I Was Talking To A Buddy Of Mine Who Is Lookng To Buy A New Truck. He Got A New Jo That He Needs More Truck For. Anyways, He Mentioned His Boss Has A Cummins 2500 That He Put A Chip In. Said He Went From The Teens To 20s On Average For Mpg, And Got A High Of 28 On A Trip To Houston. Anyone Heard Of These Kinds Of Numbers? Is It Just Cummins? Is It Just The Brand New Ones?? I Read An Article In Diesel Power Where One Of The Guys With His Truck Heavily Modded Got 22 In A Test, Which Makes Me A Little Less Skeptical, But Still. If I Could Get That Sig Much Better Economy In A Dodge Over A Ford It Would Make Me Consider One. I Just Hope They Change That Front End.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    I Was Talking To A Buddy Of Mine Who Is Lookng To Buy A New Truck. He Got A New Jo That He Needs More Truck For. Anyways, He Mentioned His Boss Has A Cummins 2500 That He Put A Chip In. Said He Went From The Teens To 20s On Average For Mpg, And Got A High Of 28 On A Trip To Houston. Anyone Heard Of These Kinds Of Numbers? Is It Just Cummins? Is It Just The Brand New Ones?? I Read An Article In Diesel Power Where One Of The Guys With His Truck Heavily Modded Got 22 In A Test, Which Makes Me A Little Less Skeptical, But Still. If I Could Get That Sig Much Better Economy In A Dodge Over A Ford It Would Make Me Consider One. I Just Hope They Change That Front End.
    He is full of crap.
    The 1st gens got the best mpg, then the 2nd gens, then the 3rd gens. I get like 17 with my 35's, I don't know anyone that get's over 20 - unless it's a 1st gen and they don't drive over 55mph
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    He is full of crap.
    The 1st gens got the best mpg, then the 2nd gens, then the 3rd gens. I get like 17 with my 35's, I don't know anyone that get's over 20 - unless it's a 1st gen and they don't drive over 55mph
    agreed
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Maybe I should have held out a little longer for that OD unit. I've got 2 roommates now.

AgDieseler
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    Diesels aren't meant to run around at high RPM. That's the beauty of them.
    Maybe your diesel doesn't like 'em. I like communting in the 2400+ range. That's when the engine really starts to sing.

That is the end of me in this thread.

i wish somebody would've bet against me

I just decided that I don't need to make my case to anyone. I like the lower RPM for a quieter ride and better mileage. That's all that matters. Make sure you put money on it next time.

fbronco86
    I just decided that I don't need to make my case to anyone. I like the lower RPM for a quieter ride and better mileage. That's all that matters. Make sure you put money on it next time.
    Cry me a river

Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol
    He is full of crap.
    Yep. My Dad has had one of each and said that the mileage has gone down with each. His first was a 3/4 ton, reg cab, long bed, 4x4. I think he said he got up to mid 20s highway. He drives like an old man. I think I posted there here on the board, but my truck gets ~3+ MPG just with someone else driving.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

Attached Images Attached Images    
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Only because I can admit when I'm wrong...

I should have done this before hand because the option was there...

1. I'm out $700 for the gear swap.

2. I am going to buy my coworkers 1991 Red Beretta that gets 32 mpg. It was well kept (garage), doesn't leak anything, has a/c, but was in a slight wreck where the front of the hood is a little bent, the bumper was bent, and a few lights need to be replaced. Also needs tires. Price for car: $300.

3. I got stuck in a ****ing mud puddle in a dirt parking lot yesterday. I had some momentum and I thought I was out of the mud so I stopped...in a spot worse than the original one. I smoked the **** out of my clutch because I was too cheap to replace the clutch's master cylinder with the newly redesigned one along with the slace cylinder I replaced so on one shift the clutch stayed on the floor unbeknownst to me while I floored it. I don't have the driveshaft on because I needed new u-joints in the front driveshaft, but I wasn't in a hurry because my gears don't match. Fortunately I had a strap and we were dropping my roommates truck off so he pulled me out. Now he has had an 18 hour hard on that he got to pull me out while he was on pavement in a 2wd half ton. I could have done that in the Mazda..

4. Now I have to pay to put the 4.10s back in, but at least I won't have to buy new tires for the Ford or fix the oil leak because I won't be driving it too often anymore.

So I was dumb. At least it's me that is out all the change.

BTW, my MB spins at 3K when running 70. It realy purs at 90, while turning 4K. I alwys though dieselsloved low revs but I guess I was wrong.

damn - i had a vw tht sounded best when going 65-70 but it was tough to get there - i think it was rated at 48 hp- but it finally would smooth out

i know a guy who has a little mazda that gets 38 and he drives it pretty regular so maybe the beretta will work out
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

It didn't do any better on mileage? I thought you'd at least get a little.

You know if you had the front driveshaft, there'd be nothing wrong with using the 4wd when you're in the slick stuff anyway.

I like your plan except for the beretta part, hard to argue with $300, but it's not Japanese, which is very key to the high mileage junker in my experience.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.