Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Holley v. Edelbrock

Holley v. Edelbrock

Alright so im looking at getting a new carb to replace the 2 barrel pos on the 360. The holley 670 truck avenger seems to be a good carb for off road but ive heard some bad things about them really drinking gas and harder to tune. The edelbrock performer 600 is quite a bit cheaper and seems to be a reliable carb, I just dont know how it would do on inclines and such. What are your opinions on the two and why?

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I would go with the edelbrock. It in my opinion is a much simpler carb. Holley makes good carbs, but like you said, they are a little harder to tune (not really harder, perhaps the word is more tunable). For offroading, my opinion, the smaller the carb the better, put to big a carb on and it will bog, a 600cfm should work with a 360. My brothers chevelle (283) would bog down with a 650.

But right out of the box Edelbrock is pretty damn easy. Hell you could be 19, drunker than hell and work on Jerry's '79 bronco, let Mike take the holley carb off, pass out on the wheel, then you could come having never worked on a ford engine and install the carb. All this and have it crank on the first try.

And Jerry correct me if I'm wrong, but we never even adjusted that carb!

Oh and I will go ahead and say it, screw a carb, go fuel injection.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

A) who is that guy in the pic with Jerry and

B) I think this is the first tech post Karl has ever made
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Nice cheesedick smile...

Oh and I second Edelbrock or if you have the skrilla go efi.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

lowballing someone
    you can go fuel injection for under 400 dollars if you make it yourself, i'm doing that right now, use stock gm tbi parts, its easy and there is a lot of tech on the web for jeeps and internationals
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    A) who is that guy in the pic with Jerry and

B) I think this is the first tech post Karl has ever made
    A) It is my long lost friend Jeremy, he did not die, he married the worst succubus ever!!!!!!

B) Look in my build up of the klogger, it is filled with all sorts of important and usefull information, the main theme being, drinking kills brain cells.

-Karl
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

right now i'd rather stick with carb for simplicity but ill check into the homemade efi just for the hell of it since the kits are so damn expensive. And it looks like i'll be going with the edelbrock due to popular opinion and about 100 bucks cheaper.

There are lots of people here that have made it work, Cox, Kolpecki, The Brune Brothers, etc....

Remember my motto if Brian Damn Ritchie can do it, I can too.
    -Karl
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

i have an edelbrock on my truck and its never given me a problem... 2 barrel motorcrafts are good... thats what i have on my jeep... but yes harder to tune.

fbronco86
    My edelbrock 600 was sweet on the street. Offroad it sucked. My motorcraft 2150 was a bad dude offroad carb it only stalled a once or twice on me.

The problem with the edelbrock are the overflows from the bowl . When you get on a hill the gas spills over from the bowl down mains thus flooding the engine. The overflows look like needles sticking down into the bowl. I have heard you can put rubber hose of them to block them and this will stop this problem. I have never tried this so I have no idea I went to FI instead.

Tuning a carb. If you can not tune a aftermarket carb you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by colman
    you can go fuel injection for under 400 dollars if you make it yourself,

God help you when Kopecki reads this

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    There are lots of people here that have made it work, Cox, Kolpecki, The Brune Brothers, etc....

i dont need no stinkin' homemade tbi injection. I GAHTS ELLTEEWON!1!1won!!!

edit: but theres a chance i may be doing it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    My edelbrock 600 was sweet on the street. Offroad it sucked. My motorcraft 2150 was a bad dude offroad carb it only stalled a once or twice on me.

The problem with the edelbrock are the overflows from the bowl . When you get on a hill the gas spills over from the bowl down mains thus flooding the engine. The overflows look like needles sticking down into the bowl. I have heard you can put rubber hose of them to block them and this will stop this problem. I have never tried this so I have no idea I went to FI instead.

Tuning a carb. If you can not tune a aftermarket carb you need help.
    agree on all

It was a '78, I was drunk, and the caption to that picture also reads "Jerry Goss, Jeremy Weinstein, and mike knoeller (not pictured)" He was passed out against the tire
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    It was a '78, I was drunk, and the caption to that picture also reads "Jerry Goss, Jeremy Weinstein, and mike knoeller (not pictured)" He was passed out against the tire
    I was there helping mike!
    1988 Blazer...RIP