Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydroboost questions:

Hydroboost questions:

I have Hydroboost on the suburban (1996 K2500 w/ 7.4L, 92,000 miles). The pedal is stiff right when you press it and seems really stiff when you jab it. Also, if I'm turning a slow curve and hit my brakes i get feedback thru the steering wheel like loss of power. I've also noticed that the steering is stiff in parking lots when i hit the brakes and turn. I replaced the pump w/ a rebuilt one, the master and all the calipers, pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, drums and rotors are new. I think it may be the accumulator. B/c I do not have power brakes after the ignition is shut off like your suppose too. Are the above symptoms of a bad accumulator? Also, It seems like my back brakes aren't cutting in like they should. Do the proportion valves go out in these things. I've adjusted the shoes until they drag and the brakes still suck! ..and these are the big huge finned drums on 14 bolts.

Here's another question...if you have loose steering is it usually the idler arm or...? I have about 10-15* of play. It has 285's tires on it so this might have worn something out faster...any ideas?
    Last edited by Graystroke; 08-24-2006 at 07:31 PM.

lowballing someone
    brake booster?
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I'd guess bad accumulator like you said?

As for the steering from what I've learned it's usually worn out idler arm, pitman arm, and tre's. Or at least that's what caused the slop in my steering before.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

73bronco
    Only thing that will do that is not getting enough fluid, check and make sure you dont have something clogging up the lines or something inside the booster messing up the valves. Also could be that you have air in the system. Those accumulators are just a big spring loaded deal that dont have anything to do with normal braking.

Why didnt you replace the booster itself along with everything else? I had a stiff pedal in my crewcab and only replaced the booster and master cylinder and that fixed it.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

b/c the booster is like $300 and a ***** to replace.

I know...I did it, and it works.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke

Here's another question...if you have loose steering is it usually the idler arm or...? I have about 10-15* of play. It has 285's tires on it so this might have worn something out faster...any ideas?

idler arm, pitman arm and tre's

Well, I did a test on it. Pumped the pedal a few times w/ the engine off and there seemed to be some pressure there (like the accumulator was working). I then held the pedal down and started it up and the pedal went down and came up a little bit like it is suppose too. I'm thing the PS pump may be the problem..maybe i got a defective one...I wouldn't be surprised b/c that Canadian Cardone crap sucks balls I discovered. talking about biatch to replace! i think I might sub that one out. Last time i did it i swore i would never do it again. Pulling the pulley off while it is on the car is just stupid design...and you only have a couple of inches between the pulley and radiator. And aligning the hoses sucks too. Anybody know of any tricks to do this?

Edit: the reason I think it is the pump is b/c when I held the pedal down the pump was groaning like it didn't like it and you could barely turn the steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    idler arm, pitman arm and tre's
    is it usually just the arm or do you need the mount for the idler that attaches to the frame as well?

not sure. isnt it one piece?

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    As for the steering from what I've learned it's usually worn out idler arm, pitman arm, and tre's. Or at least that's what caused the slop in my steering before.
    Didn't I already say this above? You should just need the idler arm, I'm pretty sure the bracket is part of the frame and if not it should be all one piece like Cox said.
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 08-25-2006 at 12:28 AM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

ill be your pickup man
    I know some come with the bracket. I will check for you tomorrow
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

make sure you have bled the air out properly
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

AgDieseler
    I just replaced mine...it's a *****, but it's a big improvement over the 21 year original - no leaking, stiff pedal, good stoppies.