Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neighbor's jeep

Neighbor's jeep

So my neighbor has a 93 with a 4.0 and 33" boggers. He really has never done anything offroad than the occasional romp in the mud. I致e gotten him excited about going to 47 and he値l probably tag along the next time we go.

So help me out here, as I know crap about jeeps. What is this thing ?J ?? What front axle does it have? I知 assuming a dana 30? He broke one of the shafts romping in the mud with his boat attached. Is the front axle useless to upgrade?

For the rear axle I suggested the Explorer 8.8

What would be some good upgrades? Spring over?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

It's a YJ.

Dana 30 front with a vacuum disconnect. Needs a solid long-side shaft swapped in with associated seals to eliminate vacuum actuator crap, but it'll work fine like it is for mild wheeling. If he really wants to upgrade then some Wagoneer D44s would be easy to build and swap and both would be 6 lug.

Spring over is an easy upgrade, but if he has lift springs he'll need to locate some factory leaves first. Those 33s might look a little small after that, though...

Seriously, you know how fast **** like that adds up. Just tell him to start reading on JU to learn the basics. More user-friendly than Pirate and they have YJ specific forums.

ok, so my neighbor is pumped after breaking the u-joint. It's not is daily driver so it can be out of commision.

Things I'd like to cover: axles, soa, sye, steering

The front axle will most likely be a dana 44 from a waggy. He might be going and getting one tommorow. What else should he grab from the waggy? Drive shaft? What do most people do for steering?

For the rear axle I guess he could grab the 44 from the rear of the waggy. I suggested the 8.8, although this 44 is probably alot more convienent.

I think he has a lift. He bought it with the shackle reversal done already, so I'm not sure if they put new springs in at the same time. He has 33" boggers on it, so I think it would look fine with a springover even if it's lifted a little higher.

Seems like most people do a sye at he same time. Whats the reason for this? Also seems like most people run a cv in the rear also.

For gears I was thinking 4.56's as it's not his daily driver and he never really drives it that far. I'm not sure what it has now, but it needs alot more ass.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    ok, so my neighbor is pumped after breaking the u-joint. It's not is daily driver so it can be out of commision.

Things I'd like to cover: axles, soa, sye, steering

The front axle will most likely be a dana 44 from a waggy. He might be going and getting one tommorow. What else should he grab from the waggy? Drive shaft? What do most people do for steering?

For the rear axle I guess he could grab the 44 from the rear of the waggy. I suggested the 8.8, although this 44 is probably alot more convienent.

I think he has a lift. He bought it with the shackle reversal done already, so I'm not sure if they put new springs in at the same time. He has 33" boggers on it, so I think it would look fine with a springover even if it's lifted a little higher.

Seems like most people do a sye at he same time. Whats the reason for this? Also seems like most people run a cv in the rear also.

For gears I was thinking 4.56's as it's not his daily driver and he never really drives it that far. I'm not sure what it has now, but it needs alot more ass.

Where is there a waggy at?
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

Aren't waggy rears offset? Jeepers do SYE's and CV cause their rear driveshafts are insanely short, in the neighborhood of 1 1/2-2'
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Tell him to get both axles from the Waggy. That way the bolt pattern will match without any extra bs besides buying new wheels. I don't think it'll be offset in the rear if it has the correct side drop front for a Wrangler. Just make sure that front he's getting doesn't have a vaccuum disconnect...

People do an SYE at the same time as a lift because transfer case drops are gay and if you don't drop the t-case the rear driveshaft won't be happy. You also usually get a CV rear driveshaft with them.

If it's already lifted or has lift springs then it'll dwarf the 33s with an SOA.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Yeah waggy rear's are offset a little. C.J. and Jordan both have them in their cj's, but with an 8.8" the shaft's are a bit thicker, 31 splines, disk brakes, etc...bad thing is c-clips. Really the only reason to do an 8.8" would be if he were to keep the 30 front, I'm pretty sure they're the same lug pattern. So if he's going with a waggy front I'd say do the 44 waggy rear. The stock YJ leaf's are pretty soft and tend to invert, maybe look into snagging the waggy leaf's too? I have 4.56"s and they've been great with both 35"s and 38"s. I'm pretty sure you could get flat top knuckles to run crossover or highsteer for the waggy front?
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

offset axles are only on wagoneers and cherokees with an automatic transmission that are built in 1979 and older. They have a passenger drop front diff

You need a front axle from a 1980 or newer and all of them were center rear diff and drivers side front.

Ive got a used SYE that I will sell you for cheap. It is an Advance Adapters unit and will work w/ the YJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I've got st. johns np231 here thats already done. I'll ask if he wants to sell it and then you could use his 231 for the krebs kustom krawler.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieTJ2007
    Ive got a used SYE that I will sell you for cheap. It is an Advance Adapters unit and will work w/ the YJ.
    What is cheap?

Would the springs from the waggy be useful? Do the stock springs have white letters painted on the top?

Any idea what gears waggy's had in them?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

cheap would be $75 or 2 sticks of tube
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

cheap would be $75 or 2 sticks of tube
    ps, i don't trade tube for my neighbors jeep I will let him know.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

well he can buy it and i will buy tube from you
    I am not an endless supply of tubing, I'm keeping the rest.

So, any idea about if the waggy springs would be useful?
    1988 Blazer...RIP