Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Rig: Sammi AKA Gettin' Dirrrty

DirrrtyGirl

My First Rig: Sami AKA Gettin' Dirrrty

1987 Stock Suzuki Samurai
    1.3 Liter Four-Banger
    Manual Gear Box
    Smokes Like A Train, With 2 Flat Tires, Busted Windshield,ect...

Okay, so here she is. She's not much to look at now, but that's all gonna change!
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by DirrrtyGirl; 08-30-2006 at 11:51 AM.

DirrrtyGirl
    Current Plans:
    SPOA
    Move Rear Spring to the Front
    Custom Rear Spring Packs
    Extend Wheel Base 5"
    33" TSL's
    Narrow Front End
    Tune-Up
    Longer Brake Lines
    Custom Bumpers
    5.12 Gears
    Exhaust
    Cage
    Fuel Cell
    Fording Kit / Snorkel
    Relocate the Battery
    Tube Front End
    Rebuild Both Shifters
    Lincoln Lock the Rear
    New Paint Job (I'm thinking HOT PINK...***)
    Remove All Factory Trim, Bumpers, Crap, Ect.....

Future Plans:
    1.6 Liter Conversion
    4 to 1 Kit
    Waggy Dana 44 Offset Axels
    New Seats

DirrrtyGirl
    Current Pictures:

Beginning Stage of Body Modifications
    Attached Images Attached Images          

I don't know what wheels you're trying to put on there, but the stock Sami wheels can be turned around so their offset is opposite of what it is now because the mounting surface is flat on both sides. That lets you run 31s or maybe some skinny 33s with stock wheels...

DirrrtyGirl
    Yeah, I know. I have some different wheels that I am going to put on it though. Thanx.
    Last edited by DirrrtyGirl; 08-30-2006 at 10:46 AM.

lowballing someone
    still need those springs or did you get a pair
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

DirrrtyGirl
    I think I found another set. (I'm cheap. ***)
    Thanx anyways.

I would go with the 4:1 kit first instead of 5.12 gears. My reasoning in this is that you plan to stay with the samurai transfer case, but eventually would be swapping out the axles, so no point in putting much money into them. I'd also go with a 6:1 instead. I don't think it costs much more, and that little rubber band needs all the help it can get. I know people say you should do the axle gears first or at the same time to avoid extra stress on the transfer case, but I don't think you really have to worry about that with 50 hp on a good day.

It didn't smoke at all when I got it, but slowly got more and more. It could just be valve stem seals. Or maybe some rings froze up. The fix for the rings is easy. Get a can of WD40 (in a quart or gallon, not the spray), pull the spark plugs and pour a few ounces in each cylinder. Let it sit for a day then run the starter with the plugs out to remove any WD40 left in there. Change the oil, put it back together and hope it doesn't smoke. The valve stem seals would be a little harder job.

Also, with t-case gears in a Sami you get a lower high range as well, which will help with street driving like a set of axle gears would.

Look in to a t-case bucket if you plan to do any other mods to the t-case. They're extremely prone to breaking in half.

DirrrtyGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by eight
    50 hp on a good day.
    64 HP, Thank you very much!

It didn't smoke at all when I got it, but slowly got more and more.
    Gave it a tune up and it doesn't smoke anymore.
    Last edited by DirrrtyGirl; 08-30-2006 at 11:26 AM.

I'll second the t-case bucket that Burris mentioned. Hasnt Wes frag'd a few sami t-cases? If he hasnt I'm sure at the very least Paul has...
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

DirrrtyGirl
    I would go with the 4:1 kit first instead of 5.12 gears.
    The 4-1 kit and heavy duty transfer case mount are future modifications for a reason.

I'm not gonna spend $600 bucks on doing that modification when I can spend a $100 on diffs gears for now.

I wanna make sure that this is the rig I wanna stay with for a while before I dump a bunch of money into it.

I can resell the gears on ebay if I want to, if i decide to put bigger axels in it.

You can also keep a stock t-case around if you want to swap it back in when you get rid of it. They'll sell on eBay just as easily as axle gears will... It's your rig, though... Build to make yourself happy.

And yes, I think I'd need to take my boots off to count how many fragged Sami t-cases I've seen in the last two years.

savvyaggie
    We are going to build it little by little so that she can wheel it at all stages of its build(starting in near stock condition, mild lift, open diffs, etc.). plus that will allow her to start wheeling soon and not have a frame-off project that takes a year to build.

Sammys need t-case and diff gearing. we are starting with the diffs first, so that I am not continueously replacing the t-case. its more fun to wheel than to be broke on tha trail.

looks good but there need to be pictures of you w/ the sammy in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?