Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix this car...

ill be your pickup man

Fix this car...

01 Nissan Altima (roomate's)

Driving back from Austin, car cuts off, smoke from underhood, more than likely overheated. Cranked it back and drove for another 15 miles until it cut off again. I went and got it and brought it back to CS.

Battery test shows bad battery. This is probably due to an old battery and alot of cranking on in in attempts to get it back started. New battery in. No start. Check coolant. No coolant. Filll with coolant and discover upper hose leak. Repair hose and determine overheat issue. Fill back up. Will not start.

Cranked motor with no radiator cap and coolant spews from radiator.

Head gasket? Head?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

yep

ill be your pickup man
    pulled oringinal NGK plugs and they have been HOT. Cranked motor with no plugs and am getting plenty of mist shooting from all 4 holes, mostly 2 and 3 and alot of air out of the radiator. Replaced with OE $9 NGKs (warrantied ) and drained cooling system completly. New plugs in and still no start. Pulled new plugs and they are still wet with water.

At this point I am hopeing it is the gasket and not the head.

I really just need to get this car to the Valley, like a 6 hours drive, like 400milesish. I have heard good things about the K&W Block Seal, but I got to get the motor to run before I can use it. Truthfully, I think this head is ****ed. This car itself is not worth more that 2500 in good running condition. I guess I'm just talking out loud hear and seeing what I can do to help a buddy out.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

put in some of the cargo liquid glass block and gasket sealer, it is some bad arse shat, worked muy bueno on some of the company trucks that my brother worked on before
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

The motor's probably fawked too. Won't have **** left for compression even with a new head. If the car's in good shape otherwise I'll give $500 for it.

order one of those takeout engines from Japan and put it in there, I want to see if they're worth a ****.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

"Those take out engines" are all they are cracked up to be. I dont remember the exact names but I helped a friend put a B16 (or 18, dont remember) 160 hp motor in his Honda CRX in place of the factory 90 hp. The new motor was a factory take out from Japan that he bought from some Canadian company. Besides the wire harness being cut (which actually wasnt all bad because all the connectors needed where still on the motor) it was a prety sweet deal and it was a low mileage motor. They ****ed up the packaging though, the motor was strapped to a crate and the shrink wrapped the computer on top of the motor and it got crushed somewhere along the way.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    sounds like you need to do a radiator cap swap.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

A buddy in Corpus bought a Supra turbo 6 cyl for his 4 Runner from an import company... The only problems he ran in to were related to the wiring harness - They're made for a right-hand drive vehicle so everything was arranged opposite of how it was supposed to be in his truck.

ill be your pickup man
    Havent messed too much with this one yet, just wanted some pointers.

95 F250 w/ a 351 (I dont think it is mass air)

It just idles high, at about 1500 RPM, especially when cold. Replaced the IAC with a Ford part and it still does it. Air leak? TPS? Any other thougts? Thanks
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

tps.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

ill be your pickup man
    I have heard that you nee dto ajust the tps to a certain voltage? Is that right?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

the one i put on my truck i didn't - i just had to make sure that it was mounted the right way and that it was turned correctly. yes those are two different things.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

ill be your pickup man

99 Silverado 5.3

See if someone can web diagnose this. I have not seen it or anything, but it is a fellow employees.

99 5.3. It will crank all day, but will not start. It has a new fuel pump as of a couple months ago, but I had him check. He hears it priming and he disconneted the line after the filter and it definetely pumps. I think he has ruled out the battery/starter.

He bought a cheapo OBD2 scanner even though he did not have a CEL. The scanner confirmed this and no codes were found. ANy ideas?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    crank sensor?

I can't remember if that can die without tripping a code or not.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)