Jeremiah bought this truck about a month ago. I found it for him in the Lock N Roll parking lot, owned by a guy who is big on myBCS(chucktheaggiejewler). It is a 05 crewcab 71 LS with the 5.3 and 77k. We test drove it and everything seems fine, but pointed out that the coolant resevoir was low. He drove it back to SA and the truck got up to 220-230 has he got back into SA. He added some coolant and just kept an eye on it. Then, he fired it up to go home from work one day, and it started ticking very loudly. Eventually it went away, and he drove home. The coolant was getting low also very slowly. He drove it to my house and back to SA for the Shiloh weekend, and said it was over a gallon low.

Anyhow, he took it in today, and also did a little research of this own. Apparently the head(s) are cracked, which allows small amounts of coolant to leak out, eventually through the exhaust, and some into the oil.

http://chevyavalanchefanclub.com/caf...4.45/wap2.html

The shop also pulled the oil filter and found it clogged and sludge filled, possibly due to a switch to synthetic? I dunno about that.

He emailed the guy, who we both do not think knew of the issues, to see what he would say, knowing that he really did not have to do a damn thing, as it was purchased as-is. The guy offered to drive to SA, pick up the truck, haul it back to BCS, and have his mechanic fix it at his cost. Very much a relief. He bought this thing so he could have something reliable, unlike the green truck or the $500 F150. We'll see next week what the shop uncovers. He thinks new heads and labor are going to be over 3k. I dont think it will be close to that much, but we'll see.