Page 1 of 41 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mongo

Project Mongo

Well, its time for a new project. As most of you know, I sold the buggy a few months back. I loved wheeling it, but after me and my ex fiancee called it quits, I no longer had a place to keep it and work on it. Plus, I was ready for a change. I missed the capability to just hop in a truck and go wheeling. The buggy always seemed to require several days of prep time, between getting it ready, making sure I had propane, and securing a trailer. Plus, I was at a point where any of the mods I wanted to do required a major reworking of how things were layed out or lots of money. I also didn't care for the lack of comfort, storage space, and basic protection from the elements the buggy had. Sure, it seemed to go anywhere, but that came at a price.

ok, so now that we know why you sold the buggy again... whats the new project?

So, after a short break, I started to look for the next project. I wanted a FJ-80, but the cost and overall size presented a problem. So in the end, I settled on the 4runner Grayson recently put up for sale. It was in decent shape, and fairly rust free which were a big deal for me. I've always wanted a first generation 4runner, but most that I have found were total rust buckets. So a deal was struck, and now this is sitting in my drive way

Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 05-11-2008 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    ok, so now that we know why you sold the buggy again... whats the new project?
    dammit boy, give me time to type

at this point, the basic plan is still forming, but here is what I'm hoping to do. The tires will need to be replaced soon, and it looks like the front CVs (IFS axleshafts) are not in the best of shape, so the only smart thing is to SAS the *****. I currently have my taco up for sale, and depending on what I get from the sale of it, I hope to do a D60/D70U combo. I'm tired of messing with greasy toyota axles, and since I have a chance to start anew, I think one tons will be the best choice, especially since this will serve as a daily driver (less worry of breakage keeping me down). Tire wise, I want to go somewhere in the 37-40 inch range, on H2 wheels. I know that is alot of tire for a daily driver, but in reality, I only drive at most 10-15 miles a week, so its not that bad. As for the choice of the D70U, I like it because it seems strong (1.5 inch, 35 spline shafts), has a smooth bottom with better clearence than a 14 bolt, and allows deeper gearing options than a 14 bolt, which I will most likely need.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    So, after a short break, I started to look for the next project. I wanted a FJ-80, but the cost and overall size presented a problem. So in the end, I settled on the 4runner Grayson recently put up for sale. It was in decent shape, and fairly rust free which were a big deal for me. I've always wanted a first generation 4runner, but most that I have found were total rust buckets. So a deal was struck, and now this is sitting in my drive way

Chiney.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

after the axle, things get a little blurry. For the front suspension, I want to use leaf springs, but I would really like to link the rear. Finances will decide how that goes. For the most part I will be using little tricks I've learned in order to SAS it for the cheapest amount possible (I'll get into that later).

But in the begining, I'll most likely just concentrate on the basics, like bumpers, sliders, and most importantly, a good roll cage (don't want a repeat of last time).

oddly enough, it takes real nice pictures, but the paint job is kinda rough. I'll probaly just rattle can it since I think the strips look wierd, and I have never liked the color red.

I don't think the size of the tire matters much for highway driving. Kurt's jeep on 37" bfg ats drove great. Put some TSLs and it probably wouldn't. My youngest brother's F250 rode kinda bad with the 38" TSL radials on it but much better with those 39" radial trxus sts queer looking tires. I suggest some 37" bfg mts or I think there is now a 37" trxus mud tire.

one other thing I would like to do that is different from most toyota buildups is I think I'm gonna try to use a D300 T-case connected to the back of the gear section of a toyota t-case. OTT builds the adaptor, and it will give me the capablity for true twin stick with front dig capability, as well as allowing me to clock the t-case and hopefully build a flat belly pan, like my buggy had.

I would also like to keep using toyota driveshafts. This may seem wierd, especially since I hope to use both a domestic t-case and axles, but let me explain. To begin, toyota u-joints must be pressed in to the yoke, and use a flange style setup to attach to the axle and t-case. They seem to be quite a bit stronger than 1310 stuff, and rarely break on the trail. I've killed one, and it had nearly 200K miles on it, with nearly 10k being at extreme angles. But even then, it didn't let go, but merely bent until the yokes touched (this was while on the highway doing 70 mph). Plus they're easy and cheap to build stronger (heavy wall tubing or square, take your pick).

But this idea led to a dilema. How to attach them to the axles and t-case. As far as the axles go, I will most likely buy the flange from high angle driveline. As for the T-case side, I'm working on it. At one point, I hoped to use flanges from a isuzu D44, but now I don't think that will work. But there is still hope, as the isuzu t-case uses the same size and spline flange, yet it is circular, allowing it to be redrilled for the toyota pattern. It will require some minor machine work, but it appears that it may work

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    I don't think the size of the tire matters much for highway driving. Kurt's jeep on 37" bfg ats drove great. Put some TSLs and it probably wouldn't. My youngest brother's F250 rode kinda bad with the 38" TSL radials on it but much better with those 39" radial trxus sts queer looking tires. I suggest some 37" bfg mts or I think there is now a 37" trxus mud tire.
    yeah, there seems to be more large, road friendly tires on the market today, so I don't think size should be a big problem. Power might, but I'll work on that.

Oh yeah, anyone guess where the name for this thing came from? Its a little more fitting for a larger vehicle, but I figure someday the name will fit pretty well

Rovers have drve flanges and pressed in u-joints. discoII have doubke cv's on the front DS. that's what i put on my RR. All I had to change was the t-case output and it bolted on. Gotta love it!

What's wrong w/ the CV's? I never noticed anything granted I only had it in 4wd once but it didn't make any noise.

well, nothing much, but there was a little grease on the arms around them. I felt around, and there are some small tears on the boots. Nothing bad, and at this point the CVs are fine. But they will rip more and eventually wear out the more I use them. No big deal, becuase I never planned to give them a chance, even if they were like new. IFS was never meant to be used on a true 4x4