Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mongo

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    You get the name from "Blazing Saddles" or what?

Looks like a cool project, I think it's cool that you're building a wheelable d.d. Seem's like you have a plan in place, just need to execute it.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

True Hollywood Stry
    the 70's are heavier, and have less option for lockers i believe, plus they are harder to find. I would go with a sterling, or 14 bolt for cheapness. In sterlings you can get 6.27 gear sets, there are four or five of us in the club using them with no problems so far, plus they are 1.5 inch 35 spline as well, just a thought. Dont rattle can that paint job it looks cool.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I don't know about the paint job, looks kinda "Back to the Future" esque. 14bolts are cheaper to buy and upgrade, have a 1.575" shaft diameter and 30 spline's compared to the sterling's 1.343" shaft diameter and 35 splines. The sterling has about an 1" more clearance than the 14, but the tubes on a sterling are held in place with spot welds where as the 14 has the tubes welded into the housing. So really they're about even when you consider all the facts...
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

He does have a point, and i think ya can shave about an inch off of the housing bottom like Scott did with the D60.

sounds like fun, I like the plan but please leave the paint job, its incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

yeah, the name came from Blazing Saddles. If you've never seen the movie, you should

As for the D70, thing, from what I have heard the D70U is lighter than the 14 bolt, and has a alot more clearence (almost more than a D60, the bottom is smooth and egg shaped). If that is true, I don't know, but it would be interesting to know.

as for the paint job, its cool looking, but needs some work. The pictures don't show it, but it looks rougher up close.

I can't remember any 1310s broken besides from axle wrap. The only one I replaced often was the one at the rear axle because when I pulled the driveshaft off to flat tow it sometimes the cap would fall off and get dirt in it. I don't think that'll be a problem now much with a cv. Do what you want, but the toyoda stuff's gonna cost you quite a bit more.

14 bolt shafts are the same size as d60 30 spline shafts in the middle. d70 shafts are 1.5" or more the whole way. Where my 60 broke the shaft is the same size as a 14 bolt. Those with sterlings haven't wheeled them hard, except for Ryan, but then he doesn't have that big of tires. I saw knoller's old girlfriend wheel his old bronco harder with the 16 spline 60 and it never broke.

At least use a paint gun. You'll get the carpal tunnel in the finger from all that rattle canning.

There are more lockers available for a 70 than a 14 bolt.

toyota stuff would cost more if I already had the 1310 stuff, but since I still have to buy it, its a toss up. In the end I think I'll be happier with the toy stuff (especially since I have it already). Plus its easy to make square D-shafts for the front out of toy stuff, and for the rear you can use 2.5 inch SCH-40 for a cheap and easy heavy wall driveshaft.

as for the paint, thats the last thing I'll give a **** about, so we'll figure it out if the rig lasts that long

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    the tubes on a sterling are held in place with spot welds where as the 14 has the tubes welded into the housing. So really they're about even when you consider all the facts...
    Um yah this isnt exactly correct. While I have not examined a sterling closely I am going to assume that the tubes are pressed into the housing and PLUG welded, just like a 14 bolt. Spot welding and plug welding are two very different techniques, and spot welding isnt really suited to the application.

I dont know about other brands but Chevy D70's have 4" diameter tubes until the very ends where they neck down to 3.5". The 14 bolt is 3.5" all the way out and about ~3/8" thick. All in all I would consider the strength arguments prety arbitrary and focus more on cost and ground clearance. All in all (after lockers, brakes, actual axle cost, etc.) the 14 bolt is much cheaper and easier to find, but yes you do sacrifice some ground clearance. As everyone knows, you can shave about 1" off the bottom of the 14 bolt without any hastle whatsoever, its prety much straight up easy. You can go a little further if you are willing to work harder but I dont really see the point.

In summary, this is why I went with a 14 bolt.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

okay explain this to me. The taco has been for sale for 3 weeks, with little feedback. I don't have lab today, plus I made some money this week, so I decide to get drunk to celebrate (what I don't know, but I'm drunk anyway so ) Well, some guy from arkansas decides he wants the tacoma, and wants to get it tommorow. So my drunk ass has spent most of the day trying to work everything out. Let me tell you, reading a vin # drunk is not easy

Sounds like fun. I will have a beer. I only go to school twice per week.

yeah, we don't care about you So what classes are you taking this semester?

I dont' know I forget. The automation one with tony and the project one with price.