Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mongo

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    blah....
    Sterling's are held into place with giant spot welded pins. Thanks...
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I'd go w/ the 70 also. I have seen one it looks like it has its own skid plate built into the bottom.

here is a pic of the D70U

Its smooth like that stock

Another thing I'm thinking about is an engine swap. I'll run the stock one for a while, but if it should die, I think I'm going to grab a engine from a tacoma. More specifically the 3RZ. Its a I4 engine, that makes quite a bit more hp and torque than the older 22re I have now. They also take very well to power upgrades such as blowers and turbos, and they are readily available with low miles for good prices (last check showed several available with under 50K miles for less than $1000). The nice thing is its nearly a bolt in swap. Using the bellhousing from the donor vehicle, it can be bolted to my stock transmission. The new motor mounts are incredibly simple to make (a plate with 4 holes drilled in it), and most of the accesories use the same fittings and so forth as the old engine. The wiring is the only difficult part, as it is with any engine

question I just thought of...w/ the power upgrade, the super beefy axles, large tires, dana 300/toyota t-case combo...do you think the week link will be the tranny or clutch? I would be afraid that the tranny might just decide to spill its guts if it is loaded up?

well, the engine swap is still a pipe dream, and something I'm not gonna worry about until this engine dies. And while it is still alot more powerful than the current engine, its not enough to be a drivetrain killer. Toyota has a tendency to really over engineer stuff, and I think the current tranny will be fine, especially if I rebuild it at some point.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but it looks like I've got a serious buyer on the tacoma. If the deal goes through, it will be time to start collecting the big parts

I found this pic on pirate. He's running a chevy D60 with H2 wheels and 40s. The stance looks just about perfect to me. He says its 81.5 inches wide at the outside of the tires. Do you think the cops will give me hell for the tires sticking out that much?

Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 09-02-2006 at 01:24 AM.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    nice red x?
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

shows up fine here, but let me try linking it a different way

attached... looks killer.

dont think i would DD it though
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by agjohn02; 09-02-2006 at 01:31 AM.

with some milder tires I don't see it being that bad, especially since I don't drive a whole lot. Mostly I just drive to work and back, which is just a few miles round trip, and the occasional trips around town. So other than a few trips home, and the occasional 4x4 trip, it won't see alot of miles. The only thing is if the cops hassle me, but they let those monster truck superdutys get away with it, so I guess I'll see

I think you are crazy, DD and off-raod rig don't go in the same sentence, ask me how I know
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I have no picture to look at. Jeep is wider than it supposed to be. No problems with the policias.

True Hollywood Stry
    Hey chris have you thought about keeping the tire size in the 36-37 range. I know your plans are to run one tons, but that size tire range is much more friendly for a daily driver, for power since you only have the 4 banger, i just dont see it being a fun drive to clayton or somewhere with 40's. john brown has 36 on his one tons, beats the crap out of it, with no breakage on axles, i think this will save you money from having to upgrade the axles to keep them daily driver/wheeler status. good luck with selling the taco man.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!