Page 4 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mongo

37" krawlers

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    That Yota looks pretty good. Just don't overdo it and it'll be fine as a d.d., 37"s-38"s maybe a touch more. Going up and down hwy. 6 I alway's see superduty's and other stuff with that size or more traveling at highway speeds (granted they aren't "trail rigs"). You've already had rigs at opposite ends up the spectrum, now you just have to find the medium with this one.

Krawler's are great if you have the money, just don't expect to get alot of mileage out of them.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

73bronco
    I think you are crazy, DD and off-raod rig don't go in the same sentence, ask me how I know
    well they do if you dont have a sissy jeep

how many times has your EB broke and not been driveable?
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

well, we will see how this thing works as a daily driver. As for the tires size thing, I haven't made up my mind either way yet. I think with anything smaller than 37s, the axles will become rock anchors. Right now, I'm leaning towards the 38x14.5 Toyo Open Country M/T

price wise, they're one of the cheapest ones out there, plus from my research, they seem to wear very well and ride nice. The only problem, is its not available in a 17 inch wheel, only a 16 or 18.

Mongo like cookies! go iroks!

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    Mongo like cookies! go iroks!
    Just dont let Mongo get near the beans again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

I've thought about the 39.5 in IROKs, but I bet they wear really fast

i bet they do too

okay, lets step away from the tire and axle stuff for a while, and talk about some of the easier mods I want to do first.

To begin, like I said earlier, I would like to do a flat belly if possible. In order to make it easier, I think I'm going to do a small bodylift, like 1 inch or so. This will also make it easier to attach sliders and stuff.

As for my rocksliders, I'm going to build something like this

As for my bumpers, I have the rear designed in my mind, but I'm still trying to work something out on the front. Both the rear bumpers and sliders will be square tubing, so I don't know if I should stick with that for the front, or go round.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Slider's look like a relatively simple design, pretty straight forward. As for the front I'd assume that you'd want to incorporate D-ring mount's, maybe a couple of light tab's, and winch mount. I personally like the way some of the round tube bumper's look, square tube looks kinda Altoish I guess. Have you considered a wrap around tube rear bumper?
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Here is something else that I'm trying to make a decision on. What do I do with the interior? I'm going to strip the carpet out, and replace the front seats with some nice suspension seats. I also plan on putting a good rollcage in as well. But what to do with the rear area? Do I leave the rear seat, and build the cage to protect it? Or ditch it, and replace it with a large storage area for tools and spares? I don't plan on really needing more than the 2 seats, and I could use as much room as I can get in the rear for a fullsize spare, tools, ice chests, and maybe a fuel cell (the stock tank location hangs down real low).

my idea for the rear bumper does wrap around and protects the sides

another question I have is this. What to do about the top. The stock hardtop is big and heavy, is kinda hard to see out of, and easily damaged. but without it, I have little protection from the weather. I've been trying to think of ways to get rid of it, but still keep the thing semi weather proof.

One option is some sort of full soft top. Those are nice (but expensive), and I can take them off when the weather is nice (much easier to store than the hard top).

Or another idea I had was to see if I could have a custom top built that basically closes up the back of the cab section, so the 4runner now looks like a truck. I think it would be simple to have a boat shop or someplace similar build. Plus it would be lightwieght, and easily removed and stored on the vehicle when I don't need it. Granted, it wouldn't protect the back seats, but I'm thinking of ditching them anyway. The only other thing two things would be how to keep water from coming in at the bottom, and what to do about where the rollcage needs to come through it. The water thing could be stopped with a small piece of angle iron, that would also be used as the bottom mounting point, but the rollcage thing still has me stumped. I'm wonder if it would be possible for the top to wrap around the tubes and effectively seal things up?
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 09-03-2006 at 03:29 AM.