Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Mongo

here is a quick drawing of what I mean about the custom top

one reason I like this idea is it allows me to mod the rear area to fit my needs better. For one, with this setup I could ditch the tailgate, and mount a fullsize spare flat in the bed, slightly hanging out the back. I could also notch the floor to run my rear shocks straight up, and I wouldn't have to worry about gas fumes if I moved the tank into the back

oh yeah, if I did it this way I would probaly bob the thing. Does any see this thing quickly turning into a trainwreck? But I figure its better to plan ahead so one mod doesn't get in the way of another and cost me more money
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 09-03-2006 at 05:43 AM.

Those toyos are a great highway tire. My little brother wanted to put them on his new truck but they're not made in 20s. I don't think anybody's used them offroad yet so you would be unique in that. They look like they would do well.

Giving up the hardtop gives up your security, people will steal whatever you leave in there.

Go with square tube on the front. Do some fancy notching and bending to make it match.

I plan on making everything as secure as possible anyway, just to keep people from messing with it. While the toyos haven't been used widely offroad yet, its quickly gaining a rep as being one of the best on and off road tires on the market. I hear they do well on all kinds of terrain, including mud and sand, and wear like rocks, yet are very grippy on the rocks. I researched these alot back when I swapped tires on the buggy, and noticed alot of comp guys are using them. I may give them a try because at 300 bucks a tire for a 38x14.5r16, they are one of the lowest priced tires in that size range on the market right now

muddyjack
    This guy does most of the comps for my buddy's shop. He is runnung the 35" toyos and makes everything look easy. I think those tires would be a good choice for what you are doing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    As for my rocksliders, I'm going to build something like this

i know where there is a set just like that. just been sitting there for quite a while...

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    but the rollcage thing still has me stumped. I'm wonder if it would be possible for the top to wrap around the tubes and effectively seal things up?

yes, check out defender 90's the cage goes through the top

A boat canvas place should be able to handle that, most new boats have roll cages now.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    i know where there is a set just like that. just been sitting there for quite a while...
    is that the set you built a year or so ago for the scout?

no, those went on the scout when i built them.

im talking abouy eric's that have been in the floor of the shop for months.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 09-04-2006 at 02:22 AM.

aww hell, thats normal for eric. We bent up the tubes for his flatbed last january or so, and they still haven't been installed.

speaking of, where the hell is he? He should of gotten the internet by now.
    Last edited by CRaSHnBuRN; 09-04-2006 at 05:39 AM.

One question on the D300. I keep seeing where people suggest swapping in the bigger rear output. But when you do this, do you need to change out to a bigger yolk?

Yes the bigger output has a bigger splined area with more splines. I think stock is 27 spline and the upgrade is 32. I haven't seen anyone break a stock one, but I'm sure it's been done. May not be a bad idea since you'll be using it as the second case, but with the little motor you probably don't have to worry about it. I likely put more torque through mine than you will. I've got 17.4 reduction in front of it while you'll have about 24, but jeep's motor has much more torque. If you think you could break the pinion on a d44, then you could break the output on the d300, they're the same size.

okay, good info to know. I'm trying to figure out if its worth doing the D300 case or just sticking with dual toy cases. The toy case setup would cost less, as the t-case is cheaper, as is the adapter. Plus I don't need to source the flanges to run the toyota driveshafts, and the shifter is easier to route. The D300 costs more, and requires a fair amount more work, but is clockable, and allows true twin stick/front dig which is what I'm after. As for the rear output, recent talk on pirate had me wondering if the d300 output was really failure prone.

I think alot of people on pirate upgrade it just so others will think they are cool, but that goes for alot of stuff on that board.

yeah it does