Thread: What size wire for welder extension cable?

What size wire for welder extension cable?

I need to make an extension cable for my welder but dont know what size or type of wire to use. I went to homo depot today and got the plugs but aparently knowing about wiring is not a prerequisit to working in the electrical department and none of the 'tards there could help. They had plenty of wire that was big but as expensive at is I want to do it right the first time. My welder is a millermatic 210 and the plugs that fit it say 250 volt 50 amp.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I need to make an extension cable for my welder but dont know what size or type of wire to use. I went to homo depot today and got the plugs but aparently knowing about wiring is not a prerequisit to working in the electrical department and none of the 'tards there could help. They had plenty of wire that was big but as expensive at is I want to do it right the first time. My welder is a millermatic 210 and the plugs that fit it say 250 volt 50 amp.
    how many amps does it actually pull? How long of a cord do you want? Both make a difference. You can probably find the info in the owners manual or online.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

8 ga minimum. 6 ga prefered. You should have bought it a year ago. Copper expensive now yea?

depends on what the circuit is rated at too. im run 10-3 and it works well. a 40' cord costs right at $100.

i bet your 220v is 30 amp. is it a dryer plug with the right angle third prong?

I'm lookin to make one 20 or 30'. The plug looks like a bigass 110, 2 parallel blades, one wider than the other, and then a 3rd round one.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

go to central electric in bryan...one stop shop

check the circuit and see what the breaker is. thats a 50A plug.

if its a 50A circuit use 8AWG. 6 would be overkill and a waste of money.

lazy ass

Seems kinda wimpy, but thats what the current model requires. For my welder the owners manual said it could use 14 gauge for 60'
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1988 Blazer...RIP