Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: plasma cutter

plasma cutter

dumb question here, but how smoothly does a plasma cut metal? Meaning is it a clean cut (requiring only a little cleanup with a grinder), or like something you normally get with a torch? (yeah I've seen some amazing stuff done with a torch, but on average most torch cuts are rough)

All I have as far as cutting tools right now is a sawzall and a fawked up chopsaw. I was thinking of getting a bandsaw/table saw in order to do nicer and more complicated cuts for brackets and stuff, but eric showed me some plasmas that were more in my price range than what I've seen before. But someone up here at school was telling me not to expect much better than torch type cuts, even from a good plasma.

Plasma in general will give you a nicer cut more easily than with an oxyfuel torch (unless, like you mentioned, your torch skills already border on wizardry). There will also be less heat generated in the material (good where warping is a concern). But if you can't hold a steady hand then your cuts will still look bad.
    BDR

you can get some kinda wheel thing (standoff?) for the plasma, that helps with the steadiness, right?

yeah it just looks like training wheels on the tip
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Learn to use a torch, it's really not that hard. Just have to keep the tip clean, and use the smallest tip available for most things. The plasma won't give a noticably cleaner cut, it comes down to how good you can hold and guide it. I prefer the torch because it is longer which gives me better controll, the plasma is more like trying to draw with a pencil holding it from the butt end. The cheap plasma you would get probably wouldn't cut much over 1/4" thick, while the normal small torch with the tip it comes with can cut 2" if you want it to, its slow, but it works. Also can heat stuff with the torch and not the plasma, and you can cut welds out much easier, like if you were removing perches from an axle. If you plan on cutting alot of sheetmetal thinner than 14 ga the plasma is good, if not, its not worth it.

plasmas cut like my my all time best torch cuts every time. very little slag boogers hanging off. if you want a straight edge you need a straight edge to drag against. they show every little wiggle since they are less forgiving than a torch. ive never used the training wheels. ill have to find a set for brandons plasma and see how they do.

personally i dont like them for anything other than straight cuts on sheetmetal. we freehanded a ton of compound shapes on aluminum sheet for floorpates at the wind tunnel and it always required clean-up with a grinder to get a smooth edge.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    personally i dont like them for anything other than straight cuts on sheetmetal. we freehanded a ton of compound shapes on aluminum sheet for floorpates at the wind tunnel and it always required clean-up with a grinder to get a smooth edge.
    I've noticed that problem with aluminum also. For some reason plasma cutters don't seem to cut aluminum very consistently.
    BDR

plasmas are nice because they will cut anything that conducts electricity, while a torch can only cut steel. Both will cut as smooth it just depends on your skill, plasmas are easier for most people to cut with especially if you get a drag tip, its like the training wheels except looks like a normal tip.

I have only used a plasma once because I had to cut some stainless but I perfer the torch. Plus if you get a torch set up you can heat things and weld with it.

oxy fuel welding works good for sheetmetal
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I would much prefer the plasma to the torch as the gas (compressed air) is cheaper, tips are cheaper, you don't have to light it then set it then wait for the metal to heat to start cutting, you just hit the trigger and go. I could always cut cleaner and faster in most situations with the plasma, but that was before this 3 yr. dry spell here in the desert (will have to try to correct that when I come home this time ). There are situations where the trusty ol' rusted nut buster just can't be beat though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

If I had to have one, I'd take the torch because it is more versatile, but a plasma cutter will cut MUCH nicer than a torch unless you've been using the torch professionally for a while. I wouldn't buy anything less than a 240 V plasma cutter either. I used a Lincoln 110V and it sucked. Miller 2050 is fawking $$, but who has $2,000 to spend on one?

One of my coworkers bought a CNC plastma cutting setup and he can make some incredibly nice signs, etc, with it.

what are the CNC's running that hold your hand held plasma cutter and runs the programs off windows? I thought they were pretty cheap for torches...I'm wondering if they're the same for plasma's

$3k.
    The disco ball in my mouth, insinuates I'm ballin'

I don't know. I think he spent a lot more on his rig, but there is def. money to be made in it. Low cost of materials and really neat product.

they aren't hard to build if you're not being a jew about it. You could build a really nice cnc table for 1500
    1988 Blazer...RIP

The torch ones are cheap