Thread: Drive shaft length?

Drive shaft length?

I've convinced my neighbor to come out with us to 47 on sunday, but we've got to build him a new front drive shaft. He twisted it somehow while towing his boat and romping through mudholes at the same time.

Anyways, it's got a shackle reversal on it and I'm wondering how much these things flex and droop? I might just jack it up all the way and see how much it droops in the morning.

Wondering how much spline I should leave for droop/compression.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

what did it have on it before? everybody says you need a long slip for a RS. i believe it after seeing how much fore/aft movement mine has when it droops and compresses. ive never measured mine to see how much it needs. its got 12".

make him a square one.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    A shackle reversal will allow the front driveshaft to collapse more, I had to shorten my front driveshaft about an inch when I installed my btf kit/shackle reversal. even though it stretched the front a little. I'm sure that you know that a shackle reversal allow's the front axle to shift towards the tub rather than toward's the front bumper like a regular shackle setup would. I've come to find out that for trail and rock use only a Jeep should be setup normal, a shackle reversal is intended to give a better ride on the highway as it soaks up bumps better. It will flex a little more, but still when it flexes the axle will be pushed towards the tub, I'd say cut the shaft where the yoke welds to the tube and shorten it at least .5". Just my $.02
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.