Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

Thread: THE Fj Cruiser.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    thinking i am as spoiled as Robbie or Sharpe ( I am giving ya'll a hard time) this is the money I have earned.
    It may be true that I'm fortunate enough to have parents that help me out financial wise. But my dad and I enjoy spending time and money on our automotive activities and I work 2 jobs to help pay for my stuff. Everyone here works and "earns their money" just like you but you don't hear them talking about how well off they are with money to throw away.

Do what you want with your FJC, it's your money and your project. Just know that once you tear it apart there will be no turning back, no regrets hopefully. Flem got it right about everyone and their brother throwing a 350, d60, 14blt in an old rig but what you're talking about doing to a new 2007 vehicle takes commitment, "brains", and balls. St. John and Jimmy summed up what I think could pose a big issue. Having a shop with the right tools and knowledge to do it right is the key so that it doesn't turn out a hack job or nightmare never to be finished in your garage.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    throwing a 350, d60, 14blt in an old rig

yes, putting together a proven combination and wheeling it is much more boring than coming up with something new and having to work the kinks out of an inferior rig. the facts of off-roading are you need torque and/or gearing,a strong drivetrain, and an exterior that can take abuse.

oh and robbie, dont defend your "spoiled-ness", enjoy it. even if im the one picking on it. you sound like chadnutz when you do.

dan at ruffstuff was telling me about a fjc he bought for dirt cheap b/c a guy had taken it on the rubicon and totaled it with no body damage.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    OH NO YOU DID-ENT!Damn two rips on me in one post, thats just dirty!

Ah hunny you know I love Pigpen... She just ugly!

(momma's boy! )

Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    It may be true that I'm fortunate enough to have parents that help me out financial wise. But my dad and I enjoy spending time and money on our automotive activities and I work 2 jobs to help pay for my stuff. Everyone here works and "earns their money" just like you but you don't hear them talking about how well off they are with money to throw away.

Do what you want with your FJC, it's your money and your project. Just know that once you tear it apart there will be no turning back, no regrets hopefully. Flem got it right about everyone and their brother throwing a 350, d60, 14blt in an old rig but what you're talking about doing to a new 2007 vehicle takes commitment, "brains", and balls. St. John and Jimmy summed up what I think could pose a big issue. Having a shop with the right tools and knowledge to do it right is the key so that it doesn't turn out a hack job or nightmare never to be finished in your garage.
    Robbie I know nothing of your financial situation I was just making a joke cause you have a nice truck and a nice rig while still in college and I saw you bring your dad out to TCC and it is pretty cool ya'll can enjoy that together.

After all that being said, yeah I am bragging about my money! No I am just lonely and bored after college with nothing to spend my money on but my gf's engagement ring.

Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    No I am just lonely and bored after college with nothing to spend my money on but my gf's engagement ring.

***, that will take care of your money spending problem in the long run too.

I am plenty broke so all of you guys wiping your ass with 20s can just mail them to me instead.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

True Hollywood Stry
    After all that being said, yeah I am bragging about my money! No I am just lonely and bored after college with nothing to spend my money on but my gf's engagement ring.[/QUOTE]

i have a cherry 78 bronco body and frame i will let go cheap , hell give me the fjc, and ill give you the whole complete truck
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth
    I am plenty broke so all of you guys wiping your ass with 20s can just mail them to me instead.
    pssh, c-notes baby!

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler

i have a cherry 78 bronco body and frame i will let go cheap , hell give me the fjc, and ill give you the whole complete truck
    ...cherry....yeah....

Alright went to Expert Offroad (www.expertoffroad.com) today during lunch to start planning this out... I have kind of broken down my rough estimation of what I am going to do...

Current Obstacles:
    -Converting Rack and Pinion Steering to regular ol box?
    -Wheel Sensors for ABS (how do i fool the computer?)
    -What combination of Suspension should I run? (leaf, coil spring, coil over, 3-link, 4-link...the possibilities are endless!)
    -FJ80 axle or D44 or D60 (if I go D60 I would have to change out the rear I think and I dont think I want to take it that far...)

What I do know:
    -4.88 Gears (want to run 37's so I want to keep the highway speed)
    -ARB locker if I go with the D44, if I go FJ80 axle I will try and get one with the Toyota E-Locker
    -It is goin to be badass

Right now I am thinking Dana 44, and I am thinking I want to build the axle myself but have never tackled this kind of project, how hard is it to find an axle housing and build it all yourself? How hard is it to set gears and install a locker? I am just starting to break the ice on this stuff and it is going to be a long road but I am pumped!

I wouldn't try to fool the computer on the wheel speed sensor issue... you'll need a lot of electric tape to cover up all the lights on the dash that would light up. And your speedometer might stop working.

if you are set on an ARB or E-locker and can get the wheel speed sensors figured out then your traction control could be retained (along with ABS and whatever other features fj's have)

On a rover axle the WSS ring is on the outside of the cv bell, I doubt there is enough room inside the knuckle on a toy axle to do this, maybe drill and tap the axle tube itself and have a slip on reluctor over the shaft. I don't know how the axle seals work on toyota so this might be impossible

d44 would be pretty easy. Jeeps have ABS rings over the ujoint and it would probably be possible to adapt this setup to a older style d44 since the ujoint size is the same. A custom mount for the pickup will be necessary along with a reluctor ring that has the correct # of teeth.

for suspension I would just copy a fj80 setup with custom coil springs IF you have room for coil buckets. If not then coilovers might be your only choice

leaf spring would be ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    leaf spring would be ghetto
    Definately.

Thanks for the ideas! Now this is the kind of stuff I am talking about!

I think an FJ80 axle should be new enough to have abs, so you would already have the tone rings and a place to put them. Not sure if they would have the same number of teeth, but you could have some new ones made. Also, since computer systems are all tied together I'm not sure about trying to "fool" the computer.

Since your truck already runs coilovers, I think I would stick with that...should be easier. Probably go with a 3 link or a radius arm setup like the longarm TJs use. Not sure what to do with your PS, that should be interesting.
    BDR

Personally I wouldn't do it but if you're going to then do a **** load of research before you even get started. And find a reputable shop and prepare to pay out of the ass for the labor alone. As suggested, I would talk to Sunray and at least get their opinions on the build. They're are great guys and are very knowledgeable.

As for suspension, a good set of 3.0 Fox coilovers are about $850 for the shock itself plus $86 per spring times 3 springs per coil in most cases.
    As for the e-locker. I would rather use an ARB. At the roundup, the Mark from Metaltech was hating his elocker because once you turn the switch on or off, it doesn't automatically turn off right away. It kind of has a mind of its own so you have to think ahead and turn the locker off before the top of the climb if you need to make a sharp turn at the top. I would use an 80 axle over a d44.

With the $$$ it is going to take to build this like you want it and have a reputable shop do the work, I would look at using that money to buy a nice buggy that will be capable as hell. In the end you are still going to have a big heavy beast.
    Last edited by TxCruzr; 06-19-2007 at 05:39 PM.
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I would look into what kind of money it will take to build the 44 up to the strenght of a 60 (even though that would just be following the crowd ). The 37's and the weight of your rig are going to be a good strain on that front end in my opinion. I think this is going to be an awesome build in the long run (if the post wedding power swap doesn't get in the way first )
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.