Thread: Pusher fan?

Pusher fan?

My 85 cj-7 has a 1990 ford mustang GT EFI in it, and it runs a little hot when wheeling, on the highway its fine though. i want to mount a pusher fan on the outside of the grill to get more airflow when wheeling slow. Does anyone think this is a good idea and more importantly what size would fit the cj grill i was thinking 14"?

What do you have for fans on it now? How big of a radiator do you have? If you get a slim enough fan, you may be able to fit it between the grill and radiator if you don't have an ac condensor in there.

i have a 14 or 16" inch fan on it now i would think 14" puller. I have a 2 core brass radiator. I'm sure i could squeeze it in but i just thought it would be easier to put it on the outside of the grill

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    You can fit one between the grill and radiator. SPAL makes a medium profile pusher fan that should work. I just bought a Flex-a-Lite for mine.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

2 core is a bit small. You can get a 3 core radiator from an online store pretty cheap. But if it's doing fine on the highway and not on the street it should be an airflow problem, not a radiator size problem. May just look into a more powerful puller fan. I use a dual 12" fan setup from a newish chevy malibu, they fit the jeep radiator just about perfectly. Or you can get puller fans from summit or jegs that'll move a whole lot of air.

If you have a radiator with a cap in the center I know where a few brand new 3-core heavy duty replacements might be...

Might help the problem a little bit...

yah i do. i might be interested ive been looking for a while, where are they located and how much?

On a shelf at work. I work at Collins Bros, and while I really hate helping most people that call us, I would be more than happy to work with you on getting a radiator sent out. Jimmy posted the direct number to my and Fred's desks in the other thread... 972-575-8762

If you want one give me a call and we can work something out.

i had a round 16" puller on mine and it got a little warm on the trail but did fine on the highway. i ditched the fan and got a fan with a full shroud that pulled through the whole radiator, not just the 16" circle. i cant get it over 190 now.

bigger or twin puller fan would probably be the best. easier to install and less drain on the electrical system than two different fans

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5