Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: trailer

Next step up from 3500's is 5200's, which is what I have on my trailer. Although plenty of people do it, I wouldnt plan on regularly towing a fullsize on tandem 3500's because once the trailer weight, vehicle weight, and then all kinds of extra crap are added on you are approaching the load limit of the axles every time you use the trailer, which is obviously harder on the bearings and brakes.

I personaly prefer wood decks, steel decks get hot as a skillet sitting in the sun and I hear they weigh more. Steel is deffinately more expensive too.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    Yes steel decks do get hot, but if kept up, they will last forever. Wood decks are much harder to take care of and will not last forever. just mho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

ill be your pickup man
    it will squeeze through normal carhaulers, which I think are 83-84" Main question is are two 3500lb axles enough?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

id go with the 5200's just for safety sake, its better to have too much than not enough

What is the curb weight of the truck (estimate would be fine)? I think that you may be pushing it close, but if its only going to be a "weekend now and again" thing then you may be fine. I still subscribe to the bigger is better rule. You could however always upgrade at a later date. It does have rear brakes, but only a 2" ball. I would prefer the 2 5/16ths myself
    'Cause if she don't,

Yes 3500's will PROBABLY be enough, but you will be operating near the maximum load rating.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

does "3500# capacity" mean working or maximum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

ill be your pickup man
    What I am looking for is a trailer to haul **** on, pick up my buddies broke down pieces, and tow the Bronco MAYBE 6 times a year. My F150 weighs right at 6000. I am unsure on the Bronco, but I would guess around 5500. Of course I would prefer a bigger trailer, but would like to keep it as light as possible(for my 1/2tons sake), with still being safe of course.

18ft with tandem 3500s and brakes on one axle seem to be in my price range. What about the floor? Wood or steel? I assume the wood is lighter, which is good, but is it sturdy enough for a Bronco?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

John I have a 16ft with tandem 3500s, wood deck (brand new pressure treated) and brakes on one axle that pulls like a dream and I wouldn't hesitate to haul your bronco on, as long as she fits between the rails. 8 2x12s with crossbars every 2 feet aint goin nowhere. Paid $500 for it and dumped another $200 into the deck. I've seen 3 in the last couple weeks on craigslist for 350-600, all need decks. I think it's a pretty ideal do-anything trailer
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

I don't think the wood/metal weight is going to be much of a difference. It depends on the bracing that they put in it. The wood should hold the bronco though, you wont have any trouble for a good while atleast.
    'Cause if she don't,

3500's will probably be fine but as someone who has almost been in several trailer -related wrecks I will recomend GETTING BRAKES ON BOTH AXLES REGARDLESS OF THE COST. That is all...

Or just try and remember that there's a trailer behind you when you're towing

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    John I have a 16ft with tandem 3500s, wood deck (brand new pressure treated) and brakes on one axle that pulls like a dream and I wouldn't hesitate to haul your bronco on, as long as she fits between the rails. 8 2x12s with crossbars every 2 feet aint goin nowhere. Paid $500 for it and dumped another $200 into the deck. I've seen 3 in the last couple weeks on craigslist for 350-600, all need decks. I think it's a pretty ideal do-anything trailer
    oh oh hippie's got a trailer.....you need a tow to gilmer in oct or clayton in december...im in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

You're gonna make doug cry
    Clayton sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    You're gonna make doug cry
    Clayton sounds good
    fo' real...we'll discuss over wings in a week or two!
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!