Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on C rated tires on the burb

Opinions on C rated tires on the burb

I need new treads on the Burban. Currently I have 285/75R16 BFG AT KO's on the burb..they are load range D I believe. It is a 2500 model and came w/ D rated tires..originally had 245's on it. I want to go smaller b/c my truck has 3.73 gears and sucks balls when I tow w/ it. The 454 tows fine but you have to be going 80 mph plus to get in the power band. W/ the 285's I run 2000 RPM at 74 mph...and it lugs down on every hill. If i put in third 65 mph is around 2700 rpm and then turning to many RPMs and the converter seems to unlock lock too much.
    The spare wheel and tire is a centerline rim like the other 4 but has a 265/75R16 Michelin LTX AT on it.
    So plan was (me being the joo that I am) to get rid of the centerlines and run some 2004 Chevy HD wheels that I have mount the spare tire on one of them and buy 3 other matching Michelins. Problem is that the spare is a load range C and that's all that can be had in AT's in Michelins. You can get regular LTX's but no AT's in D range in 265's. Think I'll need D's? The heavest thing I tow is the Range Rover and the boat. What do ya'll think?

I have some 2003 HD wheels for sale if you want to buy them...

I already have a set..thanks!

look at the weight ratings on the c's - fig out toungue weight etc
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

Go to pepboys. Get the dakota ATs in your 265/75/16 size. They're good stuff, and cheap.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Just get the Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/R16 they're a great tire and do fine offroad for anything that you may encounter with your tow rig, plus they get good mileage. Both my parent's have been running them for as long as I can remember and have never had any problem's even off the pavement.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

that defeats the cheap...I was going to use the Michelin's AT's b/c I already have on brand new one as a spare...then I would only need to buy three.....I could buy three Michelin's C-rated tires or 4 Toyo D range At's for about the same price...The Michelin's would probably last longer.

True Hollywood Stry
    one question nobody has asked, but im sure you already took into consideration. Is your spare dry rotted or anything at all? i doubt it is since it has been in the back or underneath the burb its whole time, but i thought i would through that out there. Also on my dads old crew cab one ton, he put a set of lesser tires on there one time, i dont remember what load range it was, but within like the next 20k or so all tires had to be replaced cause of problems of being out of round, bulges forming in them and generally riding like crap. i think i would just get 4 new properly rated tires.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

I think that if you had a lighter vehicle(i.e. standard cab longbed truck) the c's would be alright, but with your truck weighing so much more than a pickup you will be severely limited. I do not think this is a good idea.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    I need new treads on the Burban. Currently I have 285/75R16 BFG AT KO's on the burb..they are load range D I believe. It is a 2500 model and came w/ D rated tires..originally had 245's on it. I want to go smaller b/c my truck has 3.73 gears and sucks balls when I tow w/ it. The 454 tows fine but you have to be going 80 mph plus to get in the power band. W/ the 285's I run 2000 RPM at 74 mph...and it lugs down on every hill. If i put in third 65 mph is around 2700 rpm and then turning to many RPMs and the converter seems to unlock lock too much.
    The spare wheel and tire is a centerline rim like the other 4 but has a 265/75R16 Michelin LTX AT on it.
    So plan was (me being the joo that I am) to get rid of the centerlines and run some 2004 Chevy HD wheels that I have mount the spare tire on one of them and buy 3 other matching Michelins. Problem is that the spare is a load range C and that's all that can be had in AT's in Michelins. You can get regular LTX's but no AT's in D range in 265's. Think I'll need D's? The heavest thing I tow is the Range Rover and the boat. What do ya'll think?
    You still have that soccer wagon?

There are a ton of 1/2 chevys running pos tiger paws on them towing crap. I am sure C is just fine.

Way back in the day when the Z71 first came out, they used C rated 265/75/16 goodyears. My dad put a set of those on his f-350 and they burnt off in about 15000 miles, or the ones that made it that long did. But that was back when the county put rocks from the old railroad tracks on all the dirt roads, and they cut so many tires it wasn't worth it to run anything but the cheapest we could find.

would 4 d rated non michelins be less than 3 c rated michelins? i know mich is proud of their tires
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

the biggest thing that I like about the LTX's is how long they last. The come w/ a 60,000 mile warranty and we got 80,000 out of the ones on the 350
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I think you need some slightly used p235/70r16's

The spae is brand new and on the burb (I think b/c it has the off-road/skid plate pkg) the spare is inside. It is not the original spare b/c it came w/ 245's and the spare is an alloy rim matching the other 4. I wonder how long they would last...I'm also wondering f they bought this tire b/c that's the biggest that would fit inside. Michelin's do last a long time, just like bridgestones and BFG AT's