Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: lock right v. aussie v. detroit e-z locker

lock right v. aussie v. detroit e-z locker

Im thinking about getting a locker for the amc 20 but dont have near the cash for an ARB or OX. Therefor that limits it to a cheap luncbox locker, spool, or weld but since i drive the jeep everyday (or at least I will sometime) I want something that wont be full lock all the time. What are the pros and cons between the 3 listed in the title? And what are the differences between the amc 20 in a cj vs the amc 20 in a waggy (other than that the waggy has 1 piece shafts) and will one of thsoe lockers made for a cj work in the wag? This is probably a stupid question but i dont know much about it

I bought a lockright for the 44 thats probably never going under the truck. Main reason was price and avaliability. The aussie is ALWAYS on backorder, so if you break and need a replacement you're screwed. Aussie is supposed to be exact same thing as the lockright, even designed by the same guy, just for a a different company. Call up Performance Off Road Center in GA. They beat a couple prices I had on everything and overnighted me a gearset when they relized they hadn't included it with the rest of the order, so it got to me before everything esle did.

i got an aussie and i like it. for a vehicle w/ no hubs in the front it wasn't noticable at all
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    If you're going to drive it every day I wouldn't put a spool in or weld it for handling reason's and tire wear issues. I have a powertrax (Lock Right) locker in the rear of the Jeep and the only thing I noticed/don't like is with 38"s it seems to unlock and lock rather loudly, but I never had any issues with 35"s. They're only recommended to handle up to a 35" tire anyway. There are several people in the club that have Aussie's and seem to have had good luck with them. Is the detroit ez-locker anymore expensive? Any of them are good choices, just pick the one that fits your budget best.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

73bronco
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep
    If you're going to drive it every day I wouldn't put a spool in or weld it for handling reason's and tire wear issues.
    I've got a spool in the bronco and would say its way better than a typical auto-locker for a daily driver, alot more predictable. Auto-lockers can engage/disengage at random times causing your car to swerve.

I've also got an Aussie locker up front and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 73bronco
    I've got a spool in the bronco and would say its way better than a typical auto-locker for a daily driver, alot more predictable. Auto-lockers can engage/disengage at random times causing your car to swerve.

I've also got an Aussie locker up front and have nothing but good things to say about it.
    I agree with this also, but with stock axles the spool will chew the splines off the shaft eventually. I also have had very good luck with lockwrongs. when I blew the knuckle off the c-bone I shoved the axle back in and the locker still worked, seems like every full case detroit after an axle break they won't work right.

I like the locker swerve, on a big sweeper you can hit the gas or let off to steer more or less! I like the full detroit, If I want it to tire chirp I can just keep my foot in it in a tight corner, if not I just coast and it doesn't chirp. Fred has had good luck with his lockrights front and rear, drives it every day.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

The welded rear handles just like open in the street. It just makes the tires make noise. I haven't had any funny looking splines on my axle shafts. It's been in there for about 3 years, and quite a bit of driving or towing for an offroad vehicle.

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    didn't you destroy one welded rear axle setup not that long ago?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Yea a shaft. It was on a hillclimb in 2wd low second gear right pedal on floor. Also broke one in the sidekick, it has welded rear, so it's now 3wd. I broke a few u-joints and 2 shafts in the old 44 and the diff never had a problem. When the shafts broke it must have shocked the **** out of it because it took out a hub and the driveshaft splines at the same time.

True Hollywood Stry
    i like the welded rear also, and have even thought about welding my white bronco, but it doesnt see enough trail action to justify it. I would go welded or aussie, welded if you have discount tires for life!! aussie if not
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

just how badly does the welded rear eat the tires? I ran a detriot rear for 20K miles on a truck with 35x12.5 SSRs and noticed no difference in tire wear between the front and the back tires, even though I was told the detriot would cause alot more wear and quirky handling, which it also never did.

This time I'm going to go with a welded rear, and either a aussie or welded front. But I'm going to run hydro assist which will help.

I perfer the welded rear exept the noise. The detriot is nice too
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I can't tell how fast it wears tires in the street. Katemcy wears tires.

lunchboxes aren't that great if you have a manual. creates too much slop in the axle for my liking, will unlock/lock when you shift, etc. don't try to shift during a u-turn.

i went with a mini spool since i have a manual. probably will go with a aussie for the front. My tires are wearing normally in the back more since they try to out run each other in turns.

you have an auto right? should be fine running a lunchbox

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5