Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tie rods...welding?

lowballing someone

tie rods...welding?

so i need to make some tierods for my sandrail, its so close to being done that it is rediculous, anyway i have to have it done by sat morning cause i need to take it to my ranch and get it out of the driveway. the question is can tie rods be welded on, i have several vw rods that are the right thread all i need to do is shorten/lengthen so i was thinking cut in the middle to correct length and then weld a piece of angle iron along the whole thing to make it strong as well as welding in the middle. is that safe?
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

lowballing someone
    heres a before shot and i will get the after up in the morning
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

you might want to put a bigger picture so that we can see waht it looks like, if you need one ask me tonight and ill get you one.

I've seen plenty of people weld on tierods so I'd say go for it.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

it would look fancier if you used a peice of pipe the tie rod would slide into snugly and sleeved it.

...and then drill holes down the pipe in several areas and plug weld it as well for a little extra holding power.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I have angle iron welded to my tie rod to help reinforce it, hasn't been a problem for me. Just be careful and don't overheat them, vw tie rods aren't very stout and they probably warp easily.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

I would sleave it because It just looks cleaner than a nasty piece of angle welded on, if you sleave weld and grind it will make it look real clean
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

lowballing someone
    well i will see what happens thursday when i weld everything up, i have a bunch of angle iron so i think i will weld that the the shortened/lengthened rods, o would sleeve it if it were worth it but i can make this look good and plus i have a body on it and you will abmost never see the rods and it is gong to the ranch anyway

we have used angle iron on our rails and never had a problem, speaking of which, im going to the dunes this weekend, ill bring back pics

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless
    im going to the dunes this weekend, ill bring back pics
    pics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

lowballing someone
    i know you aren't talking to me but i did say that i would put some up of the toy but what magic number of pixels or whatever yall do works so the size is good and not to large so i can show you what the rail looks like now?

600x800 is good

640x480. you can search up a couple hints on how to resize pics. try clicking "show results as posts" since they may actually be in the Nutz thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

yes, that is a better size i had the 600 in the wrong place