Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Divorced Case Woes

Divorced Case Woes

Well, I got to wheel for about a day and a half in Clayton before I lost enough bolts out of my t-case to have the transmission pound the **** out of the floor board. I could still drive on the street to get home, but getting from 0-10 mph felt like the tranny was going to join me in the cab. I'm going to do what was suggested to me long about and get a 2wd tranny so I have extra room for slip in the mid shaft. I just bought one through junkyarddog (I highly recommend this site) for $250 + tax and shipping with 90 day warranty. Now I am going to send my toy t-case to Marlin and get one with 4.7:1 gears rebuilt in return. I should then have the same gearing that I do now without the option for L or 2L. This should end my vibration problems. Other than that the truck did OK with exception to my slicks for tires.

After this round, I'm going to start piecing together a new drivetrain (SLOWLY).

Happy wheeling.

I don't remember the setup that you had before exactly, but how did losing bolt in the transfercase cause the transmission to be loose,

Maybe try some red locktite first. That sounds like the easiest solution
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I tried lock-tite and it didn't work. The Toy case is mounted better than the mazda stuff because I have the tcase mount, piece of angle welded the the crossmember and bolted to the case, and a front range off road mount on it. Since there is no slip in the mid drive shaft, one has to give.

This has to be done...No real way around it.

weld em

hard to tell, but it doesn't look like there is enough thread engagement on the toy side.

Are you at least using SAE or fine thread metric? Nyloc should be making an appearance too.

I think the adapter actually wobbled loose. No?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

The four bolts on the bottom of the toy case that go through the mount and the one bolt that goes through the piece of angle fell out. The driveshaft bolts are still in.

are the u joints in phaze and correctly aligned? the case angle should be set just like pinion angle. divorced cases have been used in lots of stock apps I don't see why yours doesn't work. not having a slip in the d-shaft shouldn't matter. if you moved the case back a little and added a cv to the mid shaft, I bet this problem would go away.

The problem with not having slip is that when anything torques they both have to move together. When they move, one of them has to give more. It has nothing to do with phases and **** because I can drive 60 mph down the road with no problems. It is when the truck is under load (up hills, etc) that the transmission starts to move. When you don't have slip, it is harder to keep the flange angles in the same position, so that short shaft starts jerking everything around. Trust me.

could you hard mount the two cases together some how?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I see a Mazda Buildup Thread part DUEX in the in making.....
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

Sounds like it....

I don't think you guys really understand.. How many of you were at Mason and standing near me when I was going up steep inclines? The transmission hit the floor then, so I welded chains to the motor mounts and tranny mount and it still hit the floor. I can't peel out because it jumps. I can't accelerate fast because it jumps. I can't go up steep inclines without it hitting the floor board. I'm sure Scott or Cody will chime in when they see this. I HAVE to have slip in that driveshaft. I'm not going to weld them together because that creates too much stress and too much vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadnutz
    Sounds like it....

I don't think you guys really understand.. How many of you were at Mason and standing near me when I was going up steep inclines? The transmission hit the floor then, so I welded chains to the motor mounts and tranny mount and it still hit the floor. I can't peel out because it jumps. I can't accelerate fast because it jumps. I can't go up steep inclines without it hitting the floor board. I'm sure Scott or Cody will chime in when they see this. I HAVE to have slip in that driveshaft. I'm not going to weld them together because that creates too much stress and too much vibration.
    how about make a whole seperate frame for the engine, tranny, and t-cases and hard mount all of them to it. Then put mounts in between that frame and the rest of the vehicle?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

sounds like you need some better motor and transmission mounts

I remember when that was going on at Mason. I was wondering what you did to fix that
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    hey, if we all ignore him, maybe he will just go away.
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)