Thread: broken bracket, help

broken bracket, help

ok so same problem different thread, the bracket that holds my alternator and tension belt pully is broken, in one of the holes that holds the alternator is a broken bolt, so i guess i could drill it out, the other arm that holds the alternator is broken off, can you weld this stuff, its cast aluminum? Went to two salavage yards today on highway 21 and neither had the bracket i found out that its surprisingly specific its for a 1990 ford 302 with a serpentine belt system, no clutch fan, and no a.c. i pulled a bracket for the alternator from a 302 with a.c and a clutch fan just to make sure but no go. So does anyone have any ideas, i've got to get this fixed fast

you don't want to weld cast aluminum. ditch the stock bracket. make your own out of 3/16 or 1/4 plate. many people have torches and welders in the club, just buy some beer or pay for the gas.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7
    ok so same problem different thread, the bracket that holds my alternator and tension belt pully is broken, in one of the holes that holds the alternator is a broken bolt, so i guess i could drill it out, the other arm that holds the alternator is broken off, can you weld this stuff, its cast aluminum? Went to two salavage yards today on highway 21 and neither had the bracket i found out that its surprisingly specific its for a 1990 ford 302 with a serpentine belt system, no clutch fan, and no a.c. i pulled a bracket for the alternator from a 302 with a.c and a clutch fan just to make sure but no go. So does anyone have any ideas, i've got to get this fixed fast
    Take a picture of the bracket... Lets see how hard it would be to build.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Silly question, but did you try the furd dealer? Whatever they want for it may seem expensive until you think about how much time you'll spend searching yards, jacking with making it, etc.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7
    I would sweet talk krebs into tig welding it at the ME shop.

lowballing someone
    i just saw it, he needs a new bracket
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

True Hollywood Stry
    just got to the junk yards and search, im sure it doesnt have to be a high output motor to have the same bracket or like said earlier check ebay or some of the ford based off-road boards for one. Building one is gonna be a pain in the butt.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

not really compared to searching and paying out the ass probably

1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by RCook527
    not really compared to searching and paying out the ass probably
    Says the monkey with a turnbuckle on his york bracket.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

its not about looks, but functionality

1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

True Hollywood Stry
    ford and lincoln put 5.0's in almost everything, im pretty sure it isnt gonna be that expensive.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!