Thread: Weld Procedures

Weld Procedures

Any MET's or ME's have a weld procedure book or know from experience if 1010 steel and 1018 steel have the same weld procedures? I got a bid on some nuts out of 1018, the print specs out 1010. It is a weld nut. I know the 1018 is better material just wanna make sure the client company doesn't need to change weld procedures. Websites or scans from a textbook would be awesome! Thanks

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    Any MET's or ME's have a weld procedure book or know from experience if 1010 steel and 1018 steel have the same weld procedures? I got a bid on some nuts out of 1018, the print specs out 1010. It is a weld nut. I know the 1018 is better material just wanna make sure the client company doesn't need to change weld procedures. Websites or scans from a textbook would be awesome! Thanks
    I have a book on arc welding in the office, but I am not going to consult it for this. The difference in 1010 and 1018 steel is the 1018 steel has slightly more carbon, it is still in the low carbon range. I would not think there would be any difference in the procedure.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    The spec's for these steels are as follows:
    Carbon Mn P,max S,max
    1010 .08-.13% .30-.60 .040 .050
    1018 .15-.20% .70-1.0 .040 .050

The Mn is usually added to increase ductility, from what I know of welding procedures, if the heat treat and forming processes for these steels are the same (which they should be if the designation of 1010 and 1018 is right) then you should weld them the same.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I new the differences...I'm not that dumb....I guess I could look at the heat treat....who has Dr. Morgan's old ENTC materials book was it ENTC 207?

it is only 10 vs. 18% C so I'm guesing a few degrees. I found the chart. The old Iron Carbon Equilibrium Diagram. Fun times!

does anyone still use a 1010 anymore

tell them to just set the mig on high and everything will be awesome. It's going to Mexico anyway right?
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

heat treat is going to be the same since they are the same P-number.
    Also weld procedures will be the same because they are a similar base metal
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    tell them to just set the mig on high and everything will be awesome. It's going to Mexico anyway right?
    no not mexico usa

Well Mexico first, then back to the USA right? Nobody makes **** here anymore, we're just consumers.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

I looked them up and both are listed under ASTM A29 so you will be able to interchange w/o changing weld procedures
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    Well Mexico first, then back to the USA right? Nobody makes **** here anymore, we're just consumers.

we make ****, but we set the TIG on high

dreed
    According to "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding, 14th ed."
    "Steels with very low carbon contents- 0.00% to .30%- are good welding steels , but they are not the best for high speed production welding. The low carbon content and the low manganese content ( to .30%) tend to produce internal porosity. This is usually corrected by using a slower weld speed. If the presence of some internal porosity has no detrimental effect on service requirements, then standard high speed welding procedures can be used......Steels with .15-.20% carbon seldom require anything beyond standard welding procedures and can be welded with all types of mild-steel electrodes."