Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crewcab wont start

Crewcab wont start

Well the other night I pulled into my driveway and turned the truck off to run inside and do something. When I cam back out it wouldnt start. It would make a fast paced clicking noise (maybe starter not fully engaging flexplate?) and the interior annoying beeping sound would stutter. The dome lights were also extremely dim and the volt gauge on the dash was reading around 9 volts. The windows would not roll up by themselves until I jumped it off Danny's truck, then the windows rolled up, but they were extremely slow and the interior lights were still really dim. I tried cranking it with the jumper cables hooked up and that did not help at all. I checked all my fuses and have been cleaning all the grounds I can find, but I have not fixed the problem yet. I'm thinking, ignition relay, starter solenoid, starter itself, or ignition lock cylinder. The not starting part seems like it would be easy enough to trace down but the interior lights dimming confuses me. So, any ideas?

PS. the truck is a 98 Chevy K3500 crewcab with Vortec 454.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Also, according to my voltmeter, my battery itself is fine, and the fuseblock in the engine compartment is getting full power.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

check your grounds
    sounds like your battery's just weak and you guys need to buy a good set of jumper cables.
    also check those stupid-ass screw-in battery terminals. better yet, cut them off and replace with some beefy top post clamps
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

bad cell in the battery

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    bad cell in the battery
    Yeah I would try a load test on the batt and check the connections

Well I cleaned all the grounds I could find and took the starter to napa to get tested. The battery is a few years old and I've deffinately put it through hell, its a red top optima though. It has top post connections already. I have another red top that was in pigpen thats charging right now, I'm gonna try it later once its charged up. We tried jumping it off Danny's truck and that didnt help at all. Also, the voltmeter on the dash will usually show below 9 volts, but occasionaly it would go up to 12 or so. After I was done poking around with the test light, the positive terminal of the battery was really hot. The engine had not been cranking at all and the negative terminal was not hot so wtf is the deal with that?

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    another vote for toasted battery...take it to napa and have it load tested...
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Well I cleaned all the grounds I could find and took the starter to napa to get tested. The battery is a few years old and I've deffinately put it through hell, its a red top optima though. It has top post connections already. I have another red top that was in pigpen thats charging right now, I'm gonna try it later once its charged up. We tried jumping it off Danny's truck and that didnt help at all. Also, the voltmeter on the dash will usually show below 9 volts, but occasionaly it would go up to 12 or so. After I was done poking around with the test light, the positive terminal of the battery was really hot. The engine had not been cranking at all and the negative terminal was not hot so wtf is the deal with that?
    Maybe your starter is a pos and pulling to many amps.

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    x2 on the battery
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

steal one of dannys batteries and try it out. if it works, go get a new battery

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Myne on my chevy has side terminals

what happened to the wally world one in the scout. you drain the **** out of it again?

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

The cables were too stubby to reach the terminals in the wally world yellow one. I'm gonna let a second optima I have charge overnight and try it out in the morning. I think my charger might not work though, cause its older than Grayson and I left it out in the rain a couple of times. I'll probably go get the original battery tested anyway though.

i would check the pos cable if its hot has bad connection or internal resistance it will read normal voltage with no load
    junior burrell || 88 mj & 77 j-10->soon to be diesel & 79 amx & 68 javelin || amc rules !!!!!!!!

Twas the battery afterall. I feel like an ass for wasting an entire day poking **** with a voltmeter and I even took the starter out just to end up replacing the damn battery. My optima was only 3 years old but I have used it prety hard so oh well.