Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tranny issues?

Tranny issues?

Recently a strange humming noise/whine has been coming from somewhere beneath my truck (the crewcab) and I'm not sure what it is. It sounds like metal scraping on metal, and it only occurs when applying power (i.e. not when coasting). It has been speculated that it is my tranny but it seems to be functioning normaly. I put some of the magic Lucas stuff in it and did not affect the noise at all. The noise is unbearably loud and doesnt seem like its going to go away on its own so anyone have any ideas on things to look for or cheap items to try replacing? The truck has 170k on it and has a 4L80E 4 speed auto tranny. Its possible that this is the original tranny in the truck, and if thats the case it has had a long, hard life.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Flyin' the Hindenburg 2.0 DRAGOONRANCH's Avatar
    I would change the fluid and filter first off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredo View Post
    Ask your dad what it tastes like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
    Tell Chris to get it up and I will do it.
    My bitch better have my money...
    Through rain, sleet, or snow...
    My whore better have my money...
    Not half, not some, but all my cash...
    'Cause if she don't,
    I'm gonna put my foot in her ass.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Recently a strange humming noise/whine has been coming from somewhere beneath my truck (the crewcab) and I'm not sure what it is. It sounds like metal scraping on metal, and it only occurs when applying power (i.e. not when coasting). It has been speculated that it is my tranny but it seems to be functioning normaly. I put some of the magic Lucas stuff in it and did not affect the noise at all. The noise is unbearably loud and doesnt seem like its going to go away on its own so anyone have any ideas on things to look for or cheap items to try replacing? The truck has 170k on it and has a 4L80E 4 speed auto tranny. Its possible that this is the original tranny in the truck, and if thats the case it has had a long, hard life.
    Kinda sounds like a u-joint or the drive line bearing

PS always check the easy stuff first.

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies! StevenAg03's Avatar
    does your truck have a drive shaft support bearing? Im drawing a blank on the name of it, but it does around the driveshaft and mounts to the frame. mine went out in my truck and it did the same thing just before it ripped itself apart.
    Steven W
    02 Dodge 2500
    82 CJ-7 - sitting in a field...

"....Your theory is f*cked up like a football bat...."

Quote Originally Posted by StevenAg03
    does your truck have a drive shaft support bearing? Im drawing a blank on the name of it, but it does around the driveshaft and mounts to the frame. mine went out in my truck and it did the same thing just before it ripped itself apart.
    the carrier bearing, when riding in it this weekend it sounded like a u-joint from when you were shifting from park to reverse, so go with those 2 options first, may be an easy fix that way
    Tommy Matheaus '06
    210-323-2546
    2004 F-140 4x4 DD
    1990 F-150 4x4 in the works
    1992 Jeep Cherokee basterdized

Yes it has a center support bearing (thats what they call it at the parts store, I'd always heard it called a pillow block but they looked at me like I was retarded when I asked for one). It has a decent klunk when shifting into gear so I'll check the u-joints and support bearing tomorow. I figured if it was them there would be some vibration but hopefully it is just them.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

parts store monkeys usually look at you weird when you use the right name for something. it actually is a pillow block, just not in the automotive world. carrier bearing is what ive always known them by.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Kinda sounds like a u-joint or the drive line bearing

PS always check the easy stuff first.
    yeah, we did this once with my blazer. I thought the detroit was making noises. Took of the rear drive shaft and one of the u-joints was toast.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    I'm not sure if obs chevy's are like the new one's where the front driveshaft spins all the time? Maybe slop in the chain on the t-case? I doubt it'd be worn c.v.'s, but driving home in 4 low can do some wierd things. But like everyone has said, could be the u-joints.

Edit- Again on the t-case, I had problems with mine when in 4hi/low, turned out it was the same problem that Grayson talked about below.
    Last edited by CheapJeep; 08-23-2006 at 12:46 AM.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

well, when mine made a crap load of noise about a year ago it was the snap ring on the rear output of the t-case that let go. this piece of shot part cost me a grand to rebuild the case. W/ no snap ring the t-case chain decide to slap the the planetary gears and wreck havoc on all the internals. Mine made noise while accelrating and got real bad after a hundred miles.

Well I took all 8 feet of rear driveshaft out today and the u-joints are fine and the center support bearing appears to be ok so I put them back in. The rear pinion seemed like it might have some excessive slop in it though, so I drained the diff and didnt notice any metal shavings or anything out of place. So all in all, my 2 hours of work turned up nothing...

I think I will change the tranny filter and fluid tomorow as well as the t-case fluid.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    yeah, we did this once with my blazer. I thought the detroit was making noises. Took of the rear drive shaft and one of the u-joints was toast.
    Gas Tank spring break trip?

pillow block is that thing you have to draw in introductory cad classes

my f150 was a carrier bearing according to horeillys

Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    pillow block is that thing you have to draw in introductory cad classes.

i guess they all do that, huh?

yup