Thread: roll cage for cj?

roll cage for cj?

i'm thinking about putting this roll cage in my cj7 what do you think and recommend?
    http://www.swracecars.com/roll_bars.asp

probaby won't work cause it ment for race cars, I didn't look at it toomuch but I would go for a cage with 1 3/4 tubing .120 wall. I think summit has some or so I heard
    Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Creighton, you have done stuff with that jeep that would make a goat go "holy ****!"
    So driving by brail is why your jeep looks the way it does eh?

I would look at companies built specifically for CJ's. I think a guy or two in the club have gotten a cage from here:

http://www.tennesseeoffroad.com/cata...35858390775a70
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Here's another, uses the stock hoop which is not ideal, but whichever Kruse who has the white jeep has a similar set-up and has beat on it pretty hard.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

Dont get one made by a racecar company, unless its made out of chromoly then it would be ok. The ergonomics would probably suck. What kinda fab skills do you have? Thought about making your own?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Dont get one made by a racecar company, unless its made out of chromoly then it would be ok. The ergonomics would probably suck.
    Hey, I know some one that did that...

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    mine is by S&W and it is muy bueno, but i was lazy and there arent many options for prefabbed cages for a bronco. S&W has a good product but there are better options out there for jeeps
    Last edited by RCcola55; 10-05-2006 at 06:58 PM.
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    If you have access to a bender and welder I would do it yourself. There are a couple of people who are running prefab or kit cages in the club, but they would have to give you their opinion on them.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Yea if yall looked they've got an application for a CJ7 which last I checked was not a race car, but there is a guy with a 401 that runs 12s in the 1/4 mile with a 4" lift and 35s. Would need to see some pictures of one installed. Maybe you could email them and have them send you pics. One of the bronco guys on here had a thread with that same site a few weeks ago.

I still haven't figured out what's wrong with using the factory roll bar. It's bigger than what most people replace it with anyway. The tenessee offroad one looks good, but I'd be kinda worry about the head to bar clearance. If you notice on mine I bent the outer spreaders to give about 6" more clearance than that kit gives you. But I bet you could just move the ones they supply out a little more onto the bends of the hoops.

That bolt together **** looks cheap.

The eor one looks good but I would move those inner spreaders closer to eachother to give more head clearance.

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Stay away from bolt together kits like the Rockhard4x4parts etc... Alot of guys in the club just used their factory bar and added a front hoop and bracing to it. Just keep in mind, what you build will be keeping you safe. Build it sound so in the chance you do flop or roll it doesn't bend, make it so that it will last more than just one time.

Oh and triangulation..... just had to throw that in there.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Yea if yall looked they've got an application for a CJ7 which last I checked was not a race car, but there is a guy with a 401 that runs 12s in the 1/4 mile with a 4" lift and 35s. Would need to see some pictures of one installed. Maybe you could email them and have them send you pics. One of the bronco guys on here had a thread with that same site a few weeks ago.

I still haven't figured out what's wrong with using the factory roll bar. It's bigger than what most people replace it with anyway. The tenessee offroad one looks good, but I'd be kinda worry about the head to bar clearance. If you notice on mine I bent the outer spreaders to give about 6" more clearance than that kit gives you. But I bet you could just move the ones they supply out a little more onto the bends of the hoops.

That bolt together **** looks cheap.

The eor one looks good but I would move those inner spreaders closer to eachother to give more head clearance.

He runs 37s actually.

'73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

I was thinkin 37s.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    I was thinkin 37s.

Its awesome either way, my TJ does 0-60 in a month.
    '73 J2000 Thriftside Gladiator, 258/T14/D20
    '81 CJ7 Laredo, 258/T176/D300

lowballing someone
    he used to run 35's
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come