Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: porta band

porta band

who here as one of those handheld bandsaws, and how much do you use it? I need something that can cut cleaner and do more complicated cuts than a chopsaw can. This is for building brackets and stuff like that. I wanted to get a plasma, but I think its simply beyond my price range at the moment, so I think I may get a bandsaw and a torch instead.

fbronco86
    Why does everyone want a plasma? It takes the same amount of skill to cut with a plasma as does a torch.

Porta Bands are cool kinda big to handle sometimes. I use a cut off tool and a torch.

Hey Flem, how long would it have taken/how clean would it have been if you hadn't had a plasma last night to make those sliders? I agree, they can't do everything, but they sure are nice when you need them.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

My buddy, Paul, in Corpus has a really old Milwaukee Port-A-Band that works really well. It makes cutting brackets and such out a whole lot easier, and it's really easy to handle. I'm wishing I still had easy access to it because I need to cut my magnesium runflats down now that my garage is cleared out, but there's no way I'm spending $300 on a good one...

We did use it a whole lot on stuff until he got a plasma in the shop. It made building all of my suspension junk a whole lot easier.

OK, I lie. You can get one for less than Lowe's wants...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Milwaukee-6232-6...QQcmdZViewItem

even a porta band is kinda expensive. I think everyone wants a plasma because they have never learned how to get a good cutting flame from the torch. learn how to set the flame right and people will be amazed at your plasma like flame cuts, u will be suprised how good u can flame cut once u know how to use a torch correctly.

'tis true, St. John is the Charlie Daniels of the big red wrench, I seen it.
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

if you search pirate, you can find a 20% off coupon for harbor freight. Use it on this one http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6608 and you can get a good porta band pretty cheap. I may go that route, or just go really cheap and get one of the harbor freight cheapies with a warranty. Granted, it may be a POS, but I'll just have it replaced everytime it burns up, like I do with my grinders, and other tools

the only thing i would replace my torch and grinder with for making that sort of thing is a verticle band saw.

Quote Originally Posted by BMFScout
    'tis true, St. John is the Charlie Daniels of the big red wrench, I seen it.

its not hard. granted, this isnt the best but its all i could find a picture of. like ryan said, just learn how to use it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    the only thing i would replace my torch and grinder with for making that sort of thing is a verticle band saw.

Verticle bandsaws are sweet.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    I am just gonna get krebs to build me a cnc torch

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    I am just gonna get krebs to build me a cnc torch
    you could do it for the price of a plasma. I've seen a couple people do it with very good results. They even have a valve controlling the oxygen, with preheat times programmed in.

I hope you weren't giving me **** to get me stirred up
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    you could do it for the price of a plasma. I've seen a couple people do it with very good results. They even have a valve controlling the oxygen, with preheat times programmed in.

I hope you weren't giving me **** to get me stirred up
    I really think a track torch would be alot better for us. Just draw your parts fullsize and let the eye follow the drawing.

We have a track torch in canada its so easy to cut custom parts that I need for the shop on it. I just draw it up and I am done.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    I really think a track torch would be alot better for us. Just draw your parts fullsize and let the eye follow the drawing.

We have a track torch in canada its so easy to cut custom parts that I need for the shop on it. I just draw it up and I am done.
    How much is a track torch? How would it differ from CNC other than the input? Agreed if it's the input part of the process you don't want to deal with. However, if your going through the process of drawing it on a CAD system, might as well have a CNC if they cost the same.
    1988 Blazer...RIP