Thread: ford springs

ford springs

okay, due to time and money constraints, I may not do a coil suspension in the 4runner, and run leaf springs instead. Swapping in 63 inch chevy springs are common, but I hate how much they stick out in the rear. The 57 inch ford springs have caught my attention, since they are shorter and have a offset spring pin.

Now before I go any further, I want to confirm a few things. To begin, these are available in 3 vehicles (F150, Ranger, Explorer), correct? And the exploder and ranger use 2.5 inch wide springs, and the F150 uses 3 inch wide springs, correct? How much is the center pin offset (what is the length from the center pin to the spring eye for each side)? I searched some, but got conflicting reports. And does anyone know the number of leafs each vehicle uses, and if it changes for different year models, or between 4x4 and 4x2? I'm guessing the ranger will be to ligthweight for my needs, but I'm guessing a exploder would be just about right

You can come measure my truck

The rear springs on my truck are incredibly soft. If I stand on the bumper it sinks about 2 inches.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

And if you're in hikeschool with daddy's brand new truck and drop the clutch you can bounce it more than do burnouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    And if you're in hikeschool with daddy's brand new truck and drop the clutch you can bounce it more than do burnouts.
    Mom?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

True Hollywood Stry
    they are 56 inches long chris, Fullsize bronco come with 3 in,4x4 f-150s come with 3 inch. Two wheel drive f-150s come with 2.5 in- really soft-this is what i would use. i think explorer and ranger springs are not 56's i think they are in the 49 range or something around there.

Also the offset is around 6 inches
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

http://www.schoolboy*****.com/techSpringDimensions.htm

ahh, filter, the password is b!tch

As far as I know, the 92-96 model F150s offered a 3 or 4 leaf pack. Mine is a shortbed, and has the3" wide 3 leaf pack. It's pretty darn soft. Doesn't take much weight on the hitch at all to get the truck squating.
    BDR

well, soft and flexible is what I'm looking for. Everyone says the chevy 63" work so well, but most of the ones I've seen really don't flex worth a ****, and have a huge amount of overhang.

As for the ford, comparing them with my current toy springs, it looks like I can spin the ford springs around so the shortside is to the rear, and if I use the stock shackle hanger I will actually gain 2 inches of wheelbase. Sounds perfect to me

btw, here is another source for spring measurements http://www.4x4spot.com/misc__spring_information.htm

I know you are leaning this way anyway, but I would not bother with the 63" chevy springs. Though I havent messed with them at all, the ones in the rear of pigpen dont flex for shat. Given, the packs came out of a 1 ton dually so even though I removed several leafs from each pack, the remaining leafs are prety thick and as a result dont flex very well. I havent bothered to look and see but I think the packs from 1/2 tons have thinner leafs and as aresult would flex better but in all honesty, I'd go with 56" chevy springs before the 63's. I'm even considering swapping the rears out on pigpen to get rid of some of the rear overhang. The 56's centerpin is offset 4" so with the lond end of the leaf to the front, my rear axle would be located in the same place as it is with the 63's, just with ~7" less rear overhang. I hear the 56's flex just as well as the 63's and from what I've seen I believe it. I have 56's in the front of pigpen and had them in the rear of the burban and they will deffinately get the job done.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Teaching America's youth RCcola55's Avatar
    52" chevy off the rear of blazers have some serious flex, and you can find them with anywhere from 4 to 10 leafs
    Ryan Clarke
    (214)695-7901