Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Nitrogen to Paint?

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I've been shopping around for one and most need 10-15 CFM.
    How good of a gun are you looking for? Are you actully good at painting?

I ran across a thread one day about a specific model that Harbor Freight sells. They had a 3 page write up about how to set it up, etc... Seems that some people thinks it's one of the best guns for under $500. I know I have the thread saved somewhere, I'll dig it up if you're interested.

I bought the gun a couple of months ago as it was on sale. I haven't used it yet as I really don't have anything to paint. I might mess around with it at christmas if I feel like it.

What do you have to paint? I could bring my gun over and we could mess around with it. I've never painted using a spray gun.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Hmm we use nitrogen at work to heat treat and to purge furnaces. I'm not sure what volume the regulator is though. I'll look at it on wednesday when I work next.

I'll hook up an air gun on a 50ft hose and see how much volume it will flow and how fast it freezes up if I have free time. Maybe I'll hook it up to the liquid port and shoot liquid nitrogen around. These kids are crazy!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

~$300 or so. I have a bunch that I priced and spec'd typed up on a spreadsheet at home, the current leader is a DeVillbiss, I dont remember the model right off hand though. I am eventually going to paint my entire jeep and am going to do it 100% right and pimpish. Between now and then I'd like to paint pigpen first just for practice, and then maybe the crewcab. I've never painted anything before but I try to avoid buying cheap tools when it affects the end product.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    I've never painted anything before but I try to avoid buying cheap tools when it affects the end product.
    Thats what I'm getting at... I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be able to know the difference or get any benefit from an expensive gun. However, I'm not saying buy a 10 dollar gun that no one has experience with. It would be like me playing golf with a $3000 set of clubs vs. walmart clubs. I'm pretty sure I'd suck just as bad with the expensive ones.

Also, I don't expect to be able to do a high quality paint job. I would like to be able to paint well enough that it looks good from a couple feet away.

I'm sure fred or someone that has experience will come and school us.
    Last edited by Doug Krebs; 11-06-2006 at 03:25 PM.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Yea just get the $10 gun, drain the water from your compressor, use a cheap drier, and shoot light coats. You should be able to see through the first coat. I like to use 3 coats if I want to do a decent job. For a good paint job, I use my check book. You know how long it takes to paint a crew cab?
    Last edited by eight; 11-06-2006 at 03:50 PM.

Found the website... I have the 43430 gun.

Harbor Freigh HVLP
    1988 Blazer...RIP

10-15 cfm from an 80 cubic foot bottle. you do the math.

edit: maybe im thinking scuba. whats the big bottle 122 cf? still...
    Last edited by agjohn02; 11-06-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    10-15 cfm from an 80 cubic foot bottle. you do the math.

edit: maybe im thinking scuba. whats the big bottle 122 cf? still...
    Thats part of the problem I have no idea how long it takes to paint. The bottles we have at work are big, around 350cf I think. The bigger one's hold more pressure I believe.
    1988 Blazer...RIP