Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chevy gas tank...

The tank I have on pigpen is out of an 85 s10 blazer and I think it hold around 15-20 gallons, its kinda narrow and deep as opposed to wide and shallow like you are looking for though. As far as I know, all GM sending units are the same. In pigpen, as I said, my tank came out of an 85 S10 blazer, but the sending unit is from an 84 carb'd gasser. I am prety sure the hole in the top of the tank is even the same size on the 90's models, but I've never measured to check.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    John I maybe coming over again tommorow and taking a closer look. Any idea what kinda fuel pumps they use? Are they the same shape as the TBI?

When you going to be at the shop?

the fuel pump on it is about 1.5" in dia and 4 inches long. it is currently worm clamped to the sender as i found it, so im betting you can put just about anything on there.

fbronco86
    Ok... dropped the tank today. Would have reinstalled it but the damn baffle is broken due to the tank being crushed.

I'm looking for another tank. Hopefully something smaller and something that uses a similar sending unit. Anyone know how large of tanks came in S10's or astro/safari vans? I'm assuming they'd have similar sending units.

Anyone know any junkyards around that sell gas tanks? I'm going to call around tommorow, but just thought I'd ask.
    http://www.automotivepartsnetwork.co...dProduct=14264

Too much money for as little as I use the blazer. Don't foget I's po!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    Too much money for as little as I use the blazer. Don't foget I's po!
    Yeah I know but they generally dont sell gas tanks from junkyards.

Can not clean that tank you got? Karl has cleaned some crappy looking bike tanks out before. The best way it put some cleaner in it and some chain and shake the hell outta it. Easier said that done I know.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Yeah I know but they generally dont sell gas tanks from junkyards.

Can not clean that tank you got? Karl has cleaned some crappy looking bike tanks out before. The best way it put some cleaner in it and some chain and shake the hell outta it. Easier said that done I know.
    I know they don't usually sell them from the bigger yards, but some of the mexi junkyards around here probably would.

I did my motorcycle tank which was pretty easy. I put nuts and bolts in it and sloshed around but with a 25 gallon tank that would suck. It would probably cost half of what a new tank would to clean it and coat it.

I'm going to check out the camaro tank john has again. Yesterday I thought it would be too much trouble, but that was before I saw how bad my tank was.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

lowballing someone
    i have one in the parts waggy that might or might not be usable, just another option
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

So I got the tank john had laying around. I started looking at it and decided I was going to cut a wedge out of it, as it's a funny shape at the top. I've changed my mind now though. If I'm cutting up tanks, I might as well chop the top of my tank and chop the bottom off the nasty tank I have. Then clean the inside of the bottom piece and weld the two halfs together. Using my style tank, it should bolt in alot easier, than the bastard camaro tank.

Leakage could be an issue, we'll see how good my welding skillz are.

Anyone ever cut on gas tanks? I've heard to fill them with innert gas. My tank still has some residual gas in it. I plan to fill it with water all the way to the brim, the water should displace the gas in theory. I'll do this a couple times. Anyone see a problem with cutting on the tank after this?
    1988 Blazer...RIP

True Hollywood Stry
    we did this with coops tank of the yota back when it had frool injection. WE braised it back together. His sat outside for months, got rained and such i think, we filled it with water a couple times then, some soap and filled with water, then washed it all out and went to town on it, yet ive heard inert gas is the way to go. Coops worked great.
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

I think you're making this too much work.

cut it? is it taller than the one you have?

i cut mine with a saws all. first, rinsed it with water a few times then prayed for no sparks. after i got a good sized hole cut in it, i stuck a torch in to make sure there were no fumes. then welded the flange in it with a tig. it did not weld well.

i say dont cut it, just make it work as is. its too much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    I think you're making this too much work.
    I always make things too much work
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    cut it? is it taller than the one you have?

i cut mine with a saws all. first, rinsed it with water a few times then prayed for no sparks. after i got a good sized hole cut in it, i stuck a torch in to make sure there were no fumes. then welded the flange in it with a tig. it did not weld well.

i say dont cut it, just make it work as is. its too much trouble.
    Hmm... Maybe I take a test piece out of the bottom of my tank and see how it welds. If it's ok, I'll go forth with cutting two halves to make a whole. If it doesn't weld good I'll try to figure a way to make that camaro tank work.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

fbronco86
    I welded on my gas tank worked just fine

rushin truss's F-450 cab and chassis diesel tank has cracked like 3 or 4 times, our fleet machanic just welds it back up with fuel pourin' out crazy chit. I probably wouldn't do it but I have seen it done a couple of times on emptly gas tanks.