Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Chevy gas tank...

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by tigweld
    rushin truss's F-450 cab and chassis diesel tank has cracked like 3 or 4 times, our fleet machanic just welds it back up with fuel pourin' out crazy chit. I probably wouldn't do it but I have seen it done a couple of times on emptly gas tanks.

I would rather weld on a diesel tank than a gas tank anyday.

The gas flumes will get yeah trust me it will leave a mark. But I should of had gloves on too.

I know I prob should wear gloves when I weld. But I generally use a glove on my left hand and go commado on my right hand.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    I always make things too much work
    I think you should use a oil bottle like you did on your bike. That would be sweet.

You could pay 400 bucks for a gas tank like I did. I think I am still hurtin in the a$$ on that deal.

Ok, so I chopped both tanks in half. Garrett helped me with the first one and then he ran off like a little girl.

The two halves fit together pretty good, but I'll probably have to make 1 slice on 2 corners of the bottom piece to make shrink it a little, as it's a tiny bit bigger.

Anyone have a sandblaster I could borrow? I have the air compressor, just need the attatchment deal. I'd really appreciate it!
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I made it to BVWS when he was unlocking the gate to close it, so **** off

Just give that fif grader some sandpaper and let him go to work.

Shaggy
    wire wheel on a grinder works fast and has not so much mess

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Now that you have already cut it in half, The real "correct" way to do it is to put steam in it. The steam heats the gas and makes it evaporate quicker, without getting to hot and going boom.

not knocking your welding skillz, but this is probably going to be pretty tough. and now the part where I reference Monster Garage - on one episode they cut down a diesel tank and the guy did not weld it good enough, anywho, to fix it they ended up using some of that magnum steel tube crap, just a thought if you run into the problem.
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    Now that you have already cut it in half, The real "correct" way to do it is to put steam in it. The steam heats the gas and makes it evaporate quicker, without getting to hot and going boom.

not knocking your welding skillz, but this is probably going to be pretty tough. and now the part where I reference Monster Garage - on one episode they cut down a diesel tank and the guy did not weld it good enough, anywho, to fix it they ended up using some of that magnum steel tube crap, just a thought if you run into the problem.
    That was aluminum if I remember correctly. Once it's welded, I'll fill it up and let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure it doesn't leak.

It's a cute little tank, we'll see if it works.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

Does gas eat silicone?

If not I'd run a bead over the whole seam once its cooled, just for good measure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    That was aluminum if I remember correctly. Once it's welded, I'll fill it up and let it sit for a couple of hours to make sure it doesn't leak.

It's a cute little tank, we'll see if it works.
    I think the tank I am talking about was chromed, so probably not aluminum. Anywho aren't you worried this smaller tank will keep your highway miles?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

I advise to tack about a 16 ga strip on the inside of the tank to use as a backing. Then weld that to each side of the tank, then put a larger bead that would cover both beads over it to ensure no leaks. Make sure its really clean to prevent pinhole leaks from contamination, and use a small wire.

It would be easiest to pressurize the tank with your air compressor and use soapy water to test for leaks. That way when you find a leak you just depressurize and fill it.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02
    I think the tank I am talking about was chromed, so probably not aluminum. Anywho aren't you worried this smaller tank will keep your highway miles?
    This one karl?

They built it out of the chromed peterbilt gas tank right?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    I advise to tack about a 16 ga strip on the inside of the tank to use as a backing. Then weld that to each side of the tank, then put a larger bead that would cover both beads over it to ensure no leaks. Make sure its really clean to prevent pinhole leaks from contamination, and use a small wire.

It would be easiest to pressurize the tank with your air compressor and use soapy water to test for leaks. That way when you find a leak you just depressurize and fill it.
    Hmm... good idea with the strip inside, I think I'll do that.

It would be nice to pressurize the tank, but I'd have to cap all the holes. The filler neck wouldn't be too hard, but where the sending unit goes might be a pain. Come up with a good Idea for that
    1988 Blazer...RIP

put the sendin unit back in Hole filled seems easy to me

Quote Originally Posted by tigweld
    put the sendin unit back in Hole filled seems easy to me
    Yeah I guess I'll just have to cap all those holes too.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I thought I heard about the people who make POR 15 making something that sealed the inside of gas tanks and didn't react with gasoline