Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1 ton Chevy TRE tech help

ill be your pickup man

1 ton Chevy TRE tech help

I am running Chevy DLEs on all 4 of my joints. I have a hi-steer passenger knuckle, so I have a drag link from the pitman to the hi-steer part of the knuckle and then I have a tie rod connecting the two knuckles. For some reason I used the weaker DLEs. I have bent several of these already.

I now have in my possession 1 Chevy K30 TRE. It is short and threaded all the way to the tapered shaft. It has a 1" threaded shaft. I realize that I can use the stock K30 drivers side TRE(the long pice that spans the length of the frontend) and a stock connecting sleave, but I would rather run this thick ass DOM that I have.

How do I connect this TRE with a 1' threaded shaft to my DOM with a 1" ID?

Is there a TRE like the one I have, but LH thread?

Confused yet?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

look these parts up. i have the number written down, so apparently i plan to use them.

you'll have to get inserts to make that work. 1" is too big of a hole to tap for 1".

MRCES2234R- $21.99
    MRCES2010L- $38.99

ill be your pickup man
    thanks john. The PN I have for the K30 pass side TRE is es2011r, so i bet that MRCE2010L would answer one of my questions
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

The ones that John posted have 7/8" shafts and are what 95% of the people who beef up their steering use. The LH one is a dodge application but the RH is a chevy.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

oh, ive got the 1" numbers too. those others are 7/8" sorry.

MRCES2011R- $24.49 1” shank
    MRCES2064L- $36.99 1” shank

ill be your pickup man
    es2011r is for an 1980 K30 and has a 1" threaded shaft.

So if I am thinking out loud.....those 2 PN that John posted have a 7/8" thread shaft and it would still be strong and it would be easier to find a tube adapter to work with my DOM. Are those 2 PNs identical except for the direction of the thread?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

They are not exactly the same, but the important stuff is. They have the same taper and the shafts are the same size, and thats all that matters.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

ill be your pickup man
    PSC does not make a tube adapter to run a 1" thread shaft TRE into 1" ID DOM.....

Does anyone....or is this a dumb idea?
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

yes, those inserts would be easy to find.

not sure how identical they are. look them up on napa's site, they have pics iirc. i know i had to look a while to find one that wasnt stupid long in the shank

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89
    PSC does not make a tube adapter to run a 1" thread shaft TRE into 1" ID DOM.....

Does anyone....or is this a dumb idea?

couldnt do that unless you were going to butt weld it. you'd have to drill it out bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    They are not exactly the same, but the important stuff is. They have the same taper and the shafts are the same size, and thats all that matters.

thats right, it was the DLE i looked for forever. i decided to just use the short one on both ends. drag link doesnt really need opposite threads.

there were no chevy apps that didnt use the integral tie rod that i could find.

while were on topic. is there any reason to go with the 1" over the 7/8"? do people break the 7/8" much?

i think i started a thread on this once. look for it, theres prolly more info there.

ill be your pickup man
    I am currently running 7/8" threaded shaft DLEs and the bend......but I assume it is b/c of the long shank
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

the long dle is what i was trying to get away from. the only way i found to do that was to use righthand threads on both ends. you cant do that on a tie rod. theres no need for the misalignment that a dle has anywho. iff'n i were in your situation, which i happen to be, id run 7/8". only difference is i got the 3/8" wall so i can tap it instead of welding in a bung.

okay, bringing this back to the top. I need to figure out the part #s for my steering. All my inserts are for 7/8-18

Between looking at this and Parts Mike, I think I want ES2010 R&L for my tie rod (this appears to be the stock part # for my axle), or sub in the ES2234R john listed if its that much of a price difference.

Now what do I use for my draglink? Parts Mike lists ES2026R and ES2027L. Does that sound right? Or is there somethin better? And I can't use the ones for the tie rod, because they can't take the angles, right?