Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a bender?

Mounting a bender?

Finally got around to bending some chit today before the ****ty mounts I used started pulling out from the leverage on the bender. Got one side of a hoop bent and went on to the next one before I realized **** was out of wack. I went to level the bender out with some washers and saw that one mount wasnt biting into the concrete, so I took everything apart and ran into some problems.

I'm using these anchors, 3/8" which are mounted in 1/2" holes.

Feller and I had trouble getting these things to stay on Friday when I drilled the holes, which might be a little large due to the funny bit I was using. Anyway, got the holes drilled, pouned these suckers in, tried to set them by hammering on them with a screw driver, then ran the bolts in to try and expand and set them. Everything seemed ok, fast forward to today, got all of the bolts in and tight, except for one, which started to spin in the hole some (using a ratchet). Got a bend done, went to make the second and decided to level the bender up to make it easier on me. Noticed one mount was pulled out of the concrete by about 1/4", tried to tighten it and kept spinning. Tore the bender down, tried to set it with a screw driver again, but it kept spinning. Spent about 20 min pulling the damn thing out, thinking I could just put some kind of epoxy in the hole to get the things to stay, got to the last one, and the ****ing bolt sheared.

So, what are yall using to mount a bender? I don't want to have studs sticking up out of the ground to catch a tire, so that's why I'm using these, and so I can fill them up when I'm done so there wont be any sign of them.

Think just using some gorilla glue or some epoxy in the bottom and letting them set overnight will be good enough to hold these things?

I might mount it in the garage next time around so the bender will be level and the concrete might be a little tighter?
    Last edited by JeepPhisherman; 11-26-2006 at 10:10 PM.

When I mounted my bender I got these grade 8 studs at the local hardware store back home. They were about 5" long and 1/2" in diameter had a little rod sticking out of the top. You drill hole, put them in hole, and beat the piss out of the little rod to expand them in the hole. I know you said you wanted to avoid studs but these worked really well. I have read in various places about some kind of cement epoxy you can get that is made specifically for studs. If I had known about it when I mounted mine I would have put it on there just for good measure, but I'm not gonna worry about it for now. I doubt any home-use glue or epoxy will hold.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Yea, I found all sorts of stud mounts, don't want to use those.

I was thinking gorilla glue, just because I've seen the store displays with a 2x4 glued to a cmu and not budging. I'm not talking about using elmer's or anything, more along the lines of liquid nails.

was that all one piece to start?

We used something similar to that when building a shed inside our garage but it was all one piece, that was 15 years ago so I cant remember exactly what they looked liked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

fbronco86
    Ask for a red head bolt. Thats what I used to tie machines down to the floor at my old crap job.

No, you buy the sleeves and bolts seperate. They have some mounts that were inclusive like what you might be talking about, but they used studs.

I've read good stuff about Rhino glue by liquid nails, so I'm going to give it a try tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I may just use the studs and grind them off when I'm done this week, but I'm not sure how those would work any easier. Last result is to build saw horse type stand for the bender and just lightly mount that.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    Ask for a red head bolt. Thats what I used to tie machines down to the floor at my old crap job.
    Where can I find these?

Is this what you are talking about? If so, wouldn't work for me.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    Where can I find these?
    I think homedepot or lowes has them. There is a pimp ACE in bryan that might have them.

Here is a pic of a redhead that is the brand name. Buts its a wedge type stud really.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You don't have to have the bender level, but it does make it easier. If you get a dial level, you can put it on the die and find the angle it's at and work from that. Sorry no suggestions on anchors.

Here's a link for reference. I know harbor freight sells them.

http://vansantent.com/dial_levels.htm
    1988 Blazer...RIP

There is a pimp ACE in bryan that might have them.
    The ACE on villa maria? If so it no longer exists.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

I think homedepot or lowes has them. There is a pimp ACE in bryan that might have them.

Here is a pic of a redhead that is the brand name. Buts its a wedge type stud really.
    Yea, don't want the stud, but will try if a glue/epoxy doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Krebs
    You don't have to have the bender level, but it does make it easier. If you get a dial level, you can put it on the die and find the angle it's at and work from that. Sorry no suggestions on anchors.

Here's a link for reference. I know harbor freight sells them.

http://vansantent.com/dial_levels.htm
    I need to stop by HF and pick up some stuff to make bending easier on me. Tonight I was trying to guage how far out of level the bender was using a bubble level and then matching the tube to that, then I discovered the pulled anchor and I got pissy.

Always have the trailer hitch option. Also you could mount one in the yard on a receiver, I've seen that done on pirate. Couple bags of cement and a decent sized hole. At least the tube wouldn't hit anything.
    1988 Blazer...RIP

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    I used the sleve that you put into the concrete and screw a lag bolt into. It has worked in two different locations - have to drill like four 5/8" holes in the concrete though and that sucks.
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!