Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: gears

Put the spool in it, then give me your side gears.

Okay, the reason my gears cost so much is once you pass 5.38s, you are getting OEM spicer gears, not aftermarket. And apparently you cannot get 5.38s for the D70. So I could have got a cheaper deal dropping down to 5.13s, but with 40s the power would suck, so I spent the cash and went with 6.17s.

still a DD???

still planning on it though it seems to have taken on a mind of its own. The 6.17s seem steep, but I ran 5.29s with 35s in my old truck, and it was gutless. I figured with 40s, 5.89s would be the minimum, and decided to give up a little more top end power for more low end stuff since I rarely sustain speeds of over 50mph here in town anyway

That may seem like a low gear, but isn't the engine still only spinning about 3000 at 70 with the overdrive?

yeah, in overdrive I will be spinning a hair over 3000 rpms with the 40 inch tires at 70 rpms. But like I said before, I don't always trust whats on paper. For example, it says if I ran 5.29s with the 40s, I would be at 2650 rpm, which seem just about perfect, yet in real world use the 5.29s were barely enough for the 35s. Plus the toy engines seem to work pretty well in the upper 2000 rpm range.

ill be your pickup man
    I got my gears through PORC on pirate several years ago and he was the cheapest. Also, I vote for an actual locker in the front, not welded or spooled......its not fun, ive done it, regreted it, and got a Detroit.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

welded wiht lockouts?

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman
    welded wiht lockouts?
    haha, yeah right. Remember, I'm running external hubs (superwinch in my case). I'm pretty sure I could break them just looking at them wrong. I'm only using them for very light wheeling, and for on the street. The rest of the time I'll be using the stock flanges.

As for the locker, I want one for the front and rear, but for the time being I will have to stick with the welded stuff because I have spent way to much money on parts as it is at the moment. I am considering waiting on welding the diffs up until after I get the SAS done and all the little bugs worked out and make sure the runner is road worthy. Then I'll weld the rear and maybe be able to afford a locker for the front. I'm waiting on the release of the aussie locker for the D60. If its substantially cheaper than the detriot, I may go that route

Quote Originally Posted by JBrown89
    I got my gears through PORC on pirate several years ago and he was the cheapest. Also, I vote for an actual locker in the front, not welded or spooled......its not fun, ive done it, regreted it, and got a Detroit.
    BTW, did you run hydro assist with the welded front? I ran a welded front in the old truck, with no hydro assist, and agree that in high traction stuff like mason, it sucked, but I hope the hydro assist and a turned up pump will help make it bearable

Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    I'm waiting on the release of the aussie locker for the D60. If its substantially cheaper than the detriot, I may go that route
    So this is in the works? When's it supposed to come out? Still about $200?

from what I've heard the D60 aussielocker is off the drawing table, and just waiting to be put into production. Granted, this has been said for the last month or so, but it sounds like it should be out in the next few months. As for the price, they haven't really said, but I'm hoping in the 200 to low 300 dollar range. The more I think about it, the more I am considering waiting on welding the front until it comes out, so I won't have to buy another carrier. I may go PM the guys on pirate to see if there is a release date yet

Tell me what you find out. I'm thinking I'd put one of those in one of my extra carriers in the front and just allways run the drive flanges.

ill be your pickup man
    Quote Originally Posted by CRaSHnBuRN
    BTW, did you run hydro assist with the welded front? I ran a welded front in the old truck, with no hydro assist, and agree that in high traction stuff like mason, it sucked, but I hope the hydro assist and a turned up pump will help make it bearable
    no, I was not running hydro assist. Steering was obviously horrible, and that was just running 33s. It killed my pump after about 30 minutes of light wheeling. Personally, I would leave it open until I could get a locker, but its up to you.
    92 YJ
    04 F-150 4x4
    11 F-250 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by eight
    Tell me what you find out. I'm thinking I'd put one of those in one of my extra carriers in the front and just allways run the drive flanges.
    Got this response from aussielocker on pirate:

The Dana 60 35 spline Aussie Locker has been developed, fully tested and engineering has released the model to production. Special machining tools to handle the larger diameter steel were purchased and finally received in Australia from the German producer. We have ordered the first 100 units and we are just waiting on the factory to tell us when they will put this order in the manufacturing schedule. As soon as we have that date we will post and ETA here