Thread: any one know?

any one know?

85cj7 with 1990 ford 302 h.o efi mustnag gt engine, with chevy tilt column, heres what is wrong, the car turn on fine and engine runs no problem, but when i go to turn it off the key turns all the wazy and comes out but engine is still runnning. I have to stall it with the clutch to turn it off. So i replaced the ignition switch with the chevy switch because i have a chevy column, but it didn't fix it. Had some previous trouble with the fuel pump relay getting keyed power, so i ran a new key power source to it. So a history of some electrical problems. Any suggestions on what to try next?

see if the coil is hot when the ignition and engine is off. you may have a relay sticking

Is that how well you write?

i was sort of in a hurry and freakin out because of all the trouble with the car, SORRY!

you keep saying chevy, is it the stock saginaw column or did it come from some other vehicle?

sounds like the rod is messed up.

it came from a mid 80's chevy half-ton, but the good news is that everything works fine now, it was the ecm relay that was broken.

ok must not have been the relay because it started to not turn off again yesterday, i don't know, maybe the computer?

at the parts store, confusing the **** out of the guy.
    I'm thinking you need to check your alternator wiring. If it has voltage feedback on the charging system, it may be bleeding into the 12v ignition wire. Check your firewall plug on your wiring harness for any rubbed through wires, and also, make sure your alternator is hooked up correctly. Is it a 3 wire delco alternator or something else?
    "You know, this car is so fast, that giving Corvette owners this car, is kinda like giving an AK-47 to a pysch ward."

-Ron Fellows (Corvette C6R Team Driver)

ok now the car won't start, the battery is dead. the aternator is from a 1995 for mustang gt, 130 volt. it has 2 sets of wires that go to it, one of them is plug and play, and the other is one wire that is is a seperate plug and play connector, that i think goes to the starter solenoid. i'll go look to give more details.

ok heres what the alternator really look slike there are 3 connections one is a stud and eyelit that goes from the starter solenoid to the alternator (heavy guage), one is a plug harness that has 3 wires, one goes to the fuse box, one goes to the starter solenoid, and one goes back to the alternator into another plug harness, this single plug harness is the 3rd connection. Some background history-this is a brand-new alternator because the last one smoked whe the battery terminals were connected backwards (by mistake) which sent a lethal shock that fried the fuel pump relay, ecm relay, and it took rewiring the fuel pump relay tro get that to work again. Garrett and i had previously gone through everything we could find to make sure nothing else was hurt but i guess we missed something. DAMN

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7
    ok heres what the alternator really look slike there are 3 connections one is a stud and eyelit that goes from the starter solenoid to the alternator (heavy guage), one is a plug harness that has 3 wires, one goes to the fuse box, one goes to the starter solenoid, and one goes back to the alternator into another plug harness, this single plug harness is the 3rd connection. Some background history-this is a brand-new alternator because the last one smoked whe the battery terminals were connected backwards (by mistake) which sent a lethal shock that fried the fuel pump relay, ecm relay, and it took rewiring the fuel pump relay tro get that to work again. Garrett and i had previously gone through everything we could find to make sure nothing else was hurt but i guess we missed something. DAMN
    You really should get a wire diagram and go by that.

the majority of the wiring is ford but some of that is jeep as well, i didn't do the swap and so am always one step behind when it comes to things related to it, garret and i used the ford one pretty well and it helped alot but unfortunently i don't have it here, and i don't know what good one would do me anyways. I wouldn't have a clue as to were to start looking.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7
    the majority of the wiring is ford but some of that is jeep as well, i didn't do the swap and so am always one step behind when it comes to things related to it, garret and i used the ford one pretty well and it helped alot but unfortunently i don't have it here, and i don't know what good one would do me anyways. I wouldn't have a clue as to were to start looking.
    I would start with looking at a 95 mustang alt wiring diagram and go from there.

It should not be to hard to wire up.