Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk Duramax's

Lets talk Duramax's

Well my mom is fixing to give me her truck which is a '03 2500HD crewcab long bed with the 6.0L and every option except leather. Now, its a great truck, its only towed a trailer once in its entire life, and it only has ~90k miles on it. So overall its in great condition and I'm glad I'm getting it but I was thinking, with how much driving I do and towing especially, I could probably financially justify having a diesel. The 6.0 gets 12-13 mpg empty and I dont know what it gets towing, I imagine its similar to my current crewcab (98 with vortec 454) at 7-8 mpg. The mileage is obviously the main point of getting the d-max, but the extra power for towing would be great also. So I'm looking into trading it in for a d-max.

I havent looked into it too much, but what years are the best for the duramax's? I still need to look up the KBB value on the current truck and compare it to the diesels. Ideally I would like to find a straight up trade but I dont know if any used truck dealers do that at all. I would prefer a crewcab long bed with as many options as possible, but I know I will probably have to sacrifice something somewhere along the way to get close to an even trade. I do not want a high mileage truck though. I am ****ing sick of having used up hooker daily drivers that need **** replaced every damn week.

Finally, does anyone have any dealers they would recomend? There are plenty in Corpus, Houston and Dallas but having somewhere to start would be nice. Thanks
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

True Hollywood Stry
    trade both trucks and get something nice
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

Don't expect to get much more than $10K on trade-in, if you're lucky, for that '03. You'll get 11 mpg towing anything with that 6.0 - empty car hauler or a loaded gooseneck. It won't be a hot rod off the line when loaded, but it still gets up and hops on the highway. It isn't bad, but it sounds like you've Chadnutz'd this decision already.

fbronco86
    If you want good mileage I can sell yeah my furd diesel I am getting about 15.5mpg driving back and forth to worky. 65-70mph not to bad for a 92 with 4.10 gears.

fbronco86
    When I got my GMC there were just about giving dmax's away I think you could get a crew cab for about 26-27k.

I can hook you up with the internet sales lady I got my truck from. I got a pretty good deal on mine cause I made a few k when my truck got wrecked.

Quote Originally Posted by fbronco86
    When I got my GMC there were just about giving dmax's away I think you could get a crew cab for about 26-27k.
    I find this pricing very hard to believe, maybe for a gasser i doubt you could get into a used one for that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    So you loose, I win!

All the one's I've seen on ebay have been going for $25-30k. I might be able to convince mom to let me use the money from selling my current truck to help with the trade in, but I havent even pitched the trade in idea to her yet.

Why are crewcab short beds so damn popular. Am I the only person that wants a damn CC longbed these days?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    All the one's I've seen on ebay have been going for $25-30k. I might be able to convince mom to let me use the money from selling my current truck to help with the trade in, but I havent even pitched the trade in idea to her yet.

Why are crewcab short beds so damn popular. Am I the only person that wants a damn CC longbed these days?
    Cause all the yuppies by them, I dont think GM is pumping out the long beds that much anymore, when I was looking used I dont think i found one long bed.
    So you loose, I win!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modeli...MCC25PU&color=

That is a work truck no a/c, no bed, front bench, work truck for $42k MSRP, granted its an '07 but still I doubt they were giving them away at half price, if they were you should've bought 3.
    So you loose, I win!

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch Adams
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/modeli...MCC25PU&color=

That is a work truck no a/c, no bed, front bench, work truck for $42k MSRP, granted its an '07 but still I doubt they were giving them away at half price, if they were you should've bought 3.

i didn't know that you could get a GM truck these days with no a/c.

1976 F-100 Kustom Krawler
    1976 F-150 Custom
    1964 CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by bburris
    You'll get 11 mpg towing anything with that 6.0 - empty car hauler or a loaded gooseneck.

dont I wish...

i know a good dealer here in Mt Pleasant that I am good friends with.

ill PM you his e-mail address. i grew up with the guy and he was the 12th man from about '99-2001. andy knows him. luke anderson.
    Last edited by agjohn02; 12-22-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by agjohn02
    dont I wish...
    I think I might have a little first-hand knowledge...

me too?

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    2001-2002 is the LB7 engine, my mom has this one and it's awesome, I think it's rated at 300hp, 500ftlb. Allison 1000 5spd. The 03-04 are LLY engine's which got bumped up in power, the newest motor for the 05 and up is the LBZ which is rated at 380hp and 650ftlb. 6spd Allison trans.

On my mom's 01 the factory gave a notice that they would upgrade injectors for free, so I guess you could call it a recall. Other than that she really hasn't had any problems with it, we tow our gooseneck horsetrailer w/ living space just fine as well as flatbeds for hay/feed/etc... The turbo spools up quickly and throws you back in the seat way more than any stock ford or dodge I've ridden in. In stock form there's no comparison to the Duramax, some b!tch about the ifs and smooth ride but to each his own. I feel that Dodge and Ford make great work trucks but for a nice tow rig for lots of highway driving I'll take a DMax.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

yes, it was a recall on the '01 injectors. they have a tendency to fill the crankcase with diesel.