Page 50 of 56 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Roxanne: 1985 Cj-7

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redcagepatrol View Post
    Or you could've been super smart and gotten that same tank dimensions with it orientated the other way and put the whole thing under the Jeep and leave that room for storage...:flipoff2
    Ya, that came out pretty sweet....

Just curious, but have you had any trouble with the tank skidplate getting hung up? What about refueling with coolers, tools, etc in the back, is the filler accessible?

The problem I had with mine being an earlier CJ-5 was that there is very little space underneath running a dana 70. I also couldn't find a cell to fit between the narrower rear frame rails that held more than a few gallons.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

sideways again... redcagepatrol's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapJeep View Post
    Ya, that came out pretty sweet....

Just curious, but have you had any trouble with the tank skidplate getting hung up? What about refueling with coolers, tools, etc in the back, is the filler accessible?

The problem I had with mine being an earlier CJ-5 was that there is very little space underneath running a dana 70. I also couldn't find a cell to fit between the narrower rear frame rails that held more than a few gallons.
    I don't think there is a single scratch in the skidplate powdercoat. The tires stick out to the bunper edge - it's pretty hard to hit that skid plate unless your purposly back into a huge rock. That CJ-5 frame is a showstopper for doing this.
    My tool bag and spare parts bag are in my toolbox which sits on the passenger side inside fender, ice chest on the driver side. On the day long trips (Colorado mountain passes etc...) we might put a backpacks in there with some jackets or extra rain gear - or maybe the kiddo backpack, otherwise it is empty space. So - it's really easy getting to the filler neck, and most of the time, I fill it up on the way to the trail (while on the trailer). Any way you look at it, it's super easy to move a backpack.

Also - when we bring Rio and both kids, she stands back there. It's nice because it keeps her in place between the seat and tailgate.

This past CO trip, we put 2 folding chairs, 2 fishing poles, a small tackle box, a backpack with jackets / snacks, and Lynda's camera bag behind the back seat.
    Last edited by redcagepatrol; 10-17-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: more detail
    Scott, FTAC '99
    '62 Nissan Patrol 4-seat Twisted Customs Buggy
    '89 "CJ-7" - Her trail rig
    '05 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 TRD - her daily driver...
    '08 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 6.7 Diesel 4x4
    scott.schubring@williams.com

The office sucks - I wanna go wheeling!

Running through the mud pit at Alto forced so much mud into the front axle that it busted the inner seals out. I found most of my muddy diff fluid running down the driveway the week after Alto.

Took the front apart to get to the seals and found a busted passenger u-joint cap. The shafts were fine but one of the caps was mostly gone with no c-clip.

I opted to keep the stockers as spares and went with Superior Evolution 4340 Chromoly shafts with Yukon superjoints.

The orange is not rust; it's the goofy lube that comes with the Yukon superjoints.

You have to grind down the lower ball joint stud so that it doesn't contact the shaft yoke.
    Last edited by 85cj7; 11-20-2012 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryg79 View Post
    i dont speak australian.
    seacrest, you are my hero!

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    I am pretty sure the super joints come with a full c-clip to retain the cup, if not I would invest in them. I think you know what I am talking about, they have to be installed with snap ring pliers and go all the way around the cup, not just 270 degrees like the normal clips. And make sure they seat, hit them in with a punch. At any rate I think Spicer forged joints with these clips are as strong as super joints....
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Well, Clayton, OK was not nice to the jeep this year. About 4 hrs into wheeling I got caught on a large ledge and made it go 'boom!'

I also royally f'ed up the rear fixed spring mounts.

Time to do some work!
    i dont speak australian.

?radius arms?

sprayin' the house down CheapJeep's Avatar
    Time for a nodular 3rd with big bearing pinion support.... My old boss on the Fuel dragster team is a Mark Williams dealer, I can check what kind of deal I can get if you want? He might have a used Strange or OE nodular as well... Just let me know.

I will always remember cutting my old spring mounts off back in highschool when I bought the bluetorch full width kit.... No torch or fancy plasma yet, just an eager/oblivious 17 year old armed with a 3.5" cutting wheel and 7.5" grinder going at it. That's where pics of the jeep suspended from the scaffold/I-beam/chain motor "kustom car lift" originate....trying to grind down those spring mount rivets while inverted with the big ass grinder sucked.

I built new spring mounts for the rear that match the front mounts on the btf bumper.
    1974 CJ5-The BarnBurner

Quote Originally Posted by stx4wheeler View Post
    Robbie is the Charlie Daniels of the super swamper.

MERRY-F*ING-CHRISTMAS

Moser Engineering Nodular Third Member, MotiveGear Pro Street 4.86 R&P, 35 spline steel spool, 1350 steel yoke, Nodular Iron Daytona Pinion Support with solid pinion spacer.
    Last edited by 85cj7; 12-24-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    i dont speak australian.

lowballing someone
    just wondering, did you consider a hi-9?
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Like my rock crawler? KrazyKarl02's Avatar
    Was the junk yard out of sterlings?
    -Karl
    2006 Chevy K3500 4X4 - No J.B. Weld on it yet!
    1982 thru 94 F-Series "The Klogger" AKA Transport on the road, on the trail, or on the trailer!
    1965 Chevelle
    1975 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by colman View Post
    just wondering, did you consider a hi-9?
    I checked into it. It was twice as much and I have heard mixed reviews about running them in rear applications. If I break this one I'm just gonna quite the sport.
    i dont speak australian.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKarl02 View Post
    Was the junk yard out of sterlings?
    this......
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    F*ck off cj.

Was your parts store out of JB weld?
    '91 Bronco 351w, ZF5, D44 TTB, 9" rear swap with disk brakes, 37" toyos, method wheels, mastercraft seats, A/C and heat

The last few trips we have gone night wheeling and my headlights SUCK.

These were not that much more than stock replacement headlights. Time will tell if they are worth the extra cash.

BEFORE (STOCK)

AFTER (ROUND EYES H4 CONVERSION)
    Last edited by 85cj7; 01-28-2013 at 08:39 PM.
    i dont speak australian.

Chief
    ^ nice. I've really been considering this as they make a similar kit for the 6054 to H4. Visibility is already so poor, do they help at all?
    2010 VW Jetta - DD, 5 Banger, 5 Speed, 1000 Watts of sound!!
    1979 Ford Bronco Custom - 400/T18/205.. 35" SSRs, 4" lift, Rancho 5000s, 200 watts of sound!!