Page 13 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Roxanne: 1985 Cj-7

where are you going to get your knuckles machined and drilled/tapped? i got one done at villas for 50, which was cheaper than i found anywhere on the web to send it out and get it done. the only thing with using them is that you had to have the steering arms so that they knew exactly where to drill and tap

The plan is to make this Jeep better, correct? Why not upgrade to the larger ends right now when it's easiest? I don't know if your current links are tapped solid bar or if they are weld-in bungs, but either would be easy to change to fit larger ends, assuming the tubing is of large enough diameter, which I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepPhisherman View Post
    The plan is to make this Jeep better, correct? Why not upgrade to the larger ends right now when it's easiest? I don't know if your current links are tapped solid bar or if they are weld-in bungs, but either would be easy to change to fit larger ends, assuming the tubing is of large enough diameter, which I would assume.
    your right i'll look ifs its as easy as changing out the ends than i might do it, if not than i'm going to run the stock ends and if they break then drill and tap them bigger, i'll climb that mountain if and when the time comes.

Quote Originally Posted by bcolman View Post
    where are you going to get your knuckles machined and drilled/tapped? i got one done at villas for 50, which was cheaper than i found anywhere on the web to send it out and get it done. the only thing with using them is that you had to have the steering arms so that they knew exactly where to drill and tap
    i was thinking this place http://www.jnutter.com/index.html it seems like they know what they are doing and its a flat $40 fee per knuckle, i don't know if that included drilling and tapping for the arms so i sent them an email yesterday asking just that.

i was going to use the nutter guy, but i didnt want to send it out, if you print out that sheet villas may be able to match the price, atleast then if something goes wrong you have some one in town to yell at. the nutter price is for machine drill and tap.

how do you get the old studs out of a fat top knucle? Do they press out or do the screw out, i cann't tell. I need to remove the 3 old studs on my drivers side knuckle so i can clean the machined surface and put new studs in.

Screw.

two nuts, locked together and a wrench on the bottom one. oh, and wd40. maybe some heat. elbow grease.

seafoam deepcreep has always worked well as a penetrating lubricant for me.
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

then when it snaps, drill it out!
    Boats and hoes

Stumble in to the liquor store
    With a dollar-fifty for a bottle of wine,
    I know just what I'm lookin for
    Thunderbird will do just fine.

i just got all 3 out, thanks guys, i used pb blaster, a pipe wrench, and a 3' cheater bar.

ok so i found the dimensions,
    stock tie rod ends-11/16"-18
    chevy 3/4 and one tons-7/8"-18
    thats only about an 1/8" difference in diameter, does anyone think i'll have enough room and strength to drill them out and retap them if need be?

depends, what is size and thickness tube are you using/
    Seth Stewart '04
    2000 Suburban DD
    1995 F150 SAS - Needs more work to sell
    1998 GMC pickup - sold
    2003 Yukon XL - wrecked/motor donor
    1975 Scout - TBD
    1976 Scout - parts truck
    1972 IH 1310 dually - TBD
    196? Scout 800 - 302 roller

actually that would be very easy to tap out and could easily be done in a vice by hand since you would really be only chasing threads and not 100% cutting new ones. You would have to check to see if the rod ends are the same length from ball joint centerline to where the thread starts (or stops, depending on perspective)

I still don't think its necessary or a significant upgrade or makes any changes in parts availability.

i've been emailing all the manufacturers of high steer arms today to see if they can change the size and taper of the tie rod holes for me, and i've gotten a couple back, ballistic fab said they couldn't do it, but crane said they could for $109 each.