Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Disco

its a german copy of the tc saginaw pump. but I replaced it with a saginaw when the bearing went out.

what do you mean by bleed it? I was planning on pumping the brakes a few times and turning the wheel back and forth. Did you have to crack lines and stuff?

73bronco
    You need to jack the front end up and turn the wheels lock to lock about 20-30 times to get most of the air out, there will still be a little in there but it works its way out after about a week of normal driving

threw 2 washers in there, it doesn't whine at idle any more but it does when the brakes are applied or when steering. Is that what everyone elses did?

These brakes are amazing, even with the whine. This truck stops exactly how it should, but there is no power assist when its off. Is that nitrogen canister a consumable that need to be replaced?

73bronco
    Its most likely just air in the system causing the noise, but how'd you tee into the pump for the return? That canister just has a little spring in it (never needs recharging)

but the check valve may be bad. my brakes were never that bad...and they are really good on the LWB b/c of the hydro-pump they have for the ABS...which also make sthem work w/ the engine off...just gotta have the key on.

so how much for the hydro? I need to come take a look at all this...maybe I'll get my truck inspected and start driving it again you know where I cn get some disco seats?
    Last edited by Graystroke; 01-28-2007 at 09:52 PM.

Grayson there are no good disco seats to be found, especially if yours are manual. I kluged mine together using some parts off a power seat and swapping the passenger seat into the driver, but its still no where close to perfect.

Jeep seats are really close, I had a YJ seat bolted in, just have to drill a couple of holes. Bestop makes some nice ones.

price... too much

$40 at the junkyard, $60 for a new master

probably 250 for the rest of the chit from PSC, Brakequip, hydraulic shops, misc. brake lines that I redid.

I need one more 16mm adapter to get it perfect. I had to reuse the stock gearbox return line and a barb fitting to get it driveable, I couldn't find a -6 so I had to stack adapters and theres not enough clearance for them so the reservoir isn't in its final resting spot (the reason there are no pics )
    Last edited by robertf03; 01-28-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 73bronco
    but how'd you tee into the pump for the return?
    Mine had a remote reservoir setup from the factory. I wanted a filter and I needed a 2nd return fitting so I went with the PSC reservoir.

blew a caliper seal today and its leaking from plugs that haven't been turned since it left England. Could too much steering pump pressure do this?

73bronco
    could just be a matter of how hard you could push on the brakes before, the booster just makes it easier to put the pressure on it you need to lock em up. Could you lock the brakes up before?

True Hollywood Stry
    Quote Originally Posted by robertf03
    blew a caliper seal today and its leaking from plugs that haven't been turned since it left England. Could too much steering pump pressure do this?

on the seal yes i could imagine it being from to much pressure. chalk one up for over engineering
    He who dies with the most **** wins, after seeing your collection you are in the lead no doubt!

73bronco
    the power steering pressure has no impact on the amount of pressure in the brake system, thats like saying the vacuum pressure in a vacuum booster is making the seal leak.

The power steering pressure (or vacuum) does have an effect on braking pressure, how do you think the brakes are "boosted"? Technically you are correct, the pressure from the PS does not directly affect the brakes. The booster assists you in applying pressure to the brakes, the more boost you have the more pressure you can apply.

Like was mentioned earlier, maybe you're pressing a lot harder than you realize now that you have the mega-boost. Or maybe it's just that crazy aloomineeum wagon you're drivin'
    Last edited by mudtoy67; 01-30-2007 at 04:31 PM.
    BDR

I think I'm pushing the pedal too much, might take some time to get used to not having to stand on the pedal anymore.

Brian heres my theory on whats being boosted.... the booster input rod and output rod do not move at a 1:1 ratio, is more like 1:1.5 I think the hydraulic or vacuum assist just makes up for that extra effort required to move. With no assist the brakes should still be capable of outputting the same pressure.

Might have something to do with burst rating and stuff I haven't studied yet, or I could be totally wrong.

Still growls when I hit the brakes... another odd thing is when the truck is off I still get one or 2 more pumps, but the pedal is much easier to press when the engine is off than when its running. Makes me think something is seriously f'd up. Its also spewing fluid out of the reservoir a little bit, but I do have a slightly pinched supply line to the pump. Waiting on a fitting in the mail to correct that.

I'm not necessarily talking about what part of the booster/mc is getting the pressure. I'm just saying that when you have more boost pressure (i.e. more PS pump pressure), for the same amount of pressure you apply to the brake pedal, you're going to get more pressure applied to the brake mc, which in turn applies more pressure to the hydraulics.

I might just be talking out of my ass though.
    BDR

couldn't find a 1/2" female NPT to 5/8" barb fitting anywhere to fix a kinked hose so started to crank one out at work but it started snowing. Left at 4 to avoid hazardous roadways.