Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: My new FJ......40 that is.

fbronco86
    Quote Originally Posted by FJAggie07
    Ok I haven't updated my thread in a LONG time so I thought I would go ahead and do that...

Mods I have installed:
    -33" ProComp Muds
    -15x10 White "Wagon Wheels"
    -4" HFS Suspension Lift
    -OME Anti-Inversion Shackles

Currently she is being worked at up in Bonham, Texas by the best Cruiser mechanic I have ever met. Stuff being installed:
    -ARB F&R Lockers
    -Metaltech full cage
    -Power steering
    -Front Disc Brake Conversion
    -Complete Exhaust overhaul
    -Clutch Master and Slave Cylinder
    -General Maintenance (Overhaul)

That will be done in the next month or two, looking to have it done by ICBM (Lone Star Land Cruiser's "I cruised barnwell mountain") and then after that looking to replace the bench seat with buckets and then looking for a softtop for it and then it will be done for a while.
    I wish I could find a better mechanic for my bronco. The one I got takes forever to get anything done.

what power steering box did end up going with?

Right now I think we are going to go with a rebuilt saginaw box for the RHD from a company out in california that specializes in cruiser Power Steering setups. As of right now that is what is going on. It is the last thing on the list.

The mechanic I am using is a CRUISER HEADCASE. I have known the guy for a while but if I have any random question I know I can call him up and he has the answer. He works on ALL Cruisers. He has a 40, his son has a chopped 60, his daughter has a 40 or a 45 (can't remember which), the guy is crazy Land Cruiser so I am glad I found him to do the work I know Iwould screw up.

Pics from me wheeling it at Lone Star LandCruiser's ICBM

WHEELSTAND!

I sat her on an incline for a little too long saturday night running Sunday Cruise and she started idling real low and rough, also after this weekend I think we officially zapped the battery by running the CB without the engine running, the battery was used once every three months for a while and then it got a workout this weekend and I think it puked on me. Once I got her back home I set the idle screw right but I think she is still running a little rich, gonna have to adjust that.

So question is, I don't really know anything about batteries, and I hear a lot about Optima Yellow and Red Top's. I need something that is going to act more like a deep cycle battery and hold charge for a long time. I guess I will be throwing a winch on there in the next year and will probably run two batteries. anybody have a preference as far as batteries go?

Also running 33's with a 3-4" lift on a 40 = Rubbing at full flex (what little flex I get )

I smashed the fender doing the wheelstand and obliterated the turn signal. I think I was out of blinker fluid anyways . I was pissed about having to replace the fender but we got to thinking about it and I think I am just going to trim the rim of the fender where it makes the curve down. Take about two inches off each fender and trim some on the rear quarter panels because they got bent in too. All the things to do until we go spring over.

After wheeling my first trail I noticed some clicking on full lock coming out of both sides of my front axle. Thought I broke a birf, so with the help of some friends we jacked her up and took out the birfield but she looked fine, reassembled and still clicking away at full lock. That took most afternoon and my hub was still kind of seized up on the passenger side (drivers side here in america ) so after dinner took apart the hub and replaced with a spare one a friend had. The hub started locking and unlocking again but it still clicked. Tested it on a tree and found out the wheels were still turning up front so I am assuming at this point it is just a worn out 30 yr old axle and when the **** breaks I will replace it all with Longfields.

I have went through 4 or 5 red optimas in the last year.
    Born to Kill

Quote Originally Posted by RCcola55 View Post
    I just watched a spider dominate a fly on the wall outside, i thought would would travis do? and i did the opposite, spider lives!

so much for a sweet resto cruiser
    old birfs click, you shouldn't break one until you lock the front
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Dont get an optima, they lick nuts now. Get napa house brand or interstate.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    so much for a sweet resto cruiser
    old birfs click, you shouldn't break one until you lock the front
    Front's Locked. Selectable Locker but Locked.

Quote Originally Posted by afroman006
    Dont get an optima, they lick nuts now. Get napa house brand or interstate.
    check. That's two against Optima.

Stock air locker? Converting the outers to minitruck stuff for the disk brakes should be coming pretty soon, right? Good time to put in longs
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

Stock air locker? Converting the outers to minitruck stuff for the disk brakes should be coming pretty soon, right? Good time to put in longs
    No stock locker, ARB Air Locker, and yes the front is converted to disc brakes.

lowballing someone
    as far as ive heard about optimas, the ones a few years ago rocked but lately quality controll has really suffered, that said i love mine and have had no problems with it and i drain it all of the time cause my brake lights randomly come on ( i need a new spring on the brake )
    Red 81 CJ5, 35's, 4.10 and detroit, 4 to 1 dana 300, tbi efi, flat belly, cage, chromos and auzzie in front... sometimes runs. body damage to come

Stock air locker?
    wtf eric, you're slipping...those would be electric

With the arb, if you have to back up just turn it off and try to keep the wheels pretty straight if in a bind. Birfs tend to break the most when backing up with the wheels turned and the front end locked. If you pay attention you could probably get away with never breaking on and beat Butch's record.

I've also heard a lot of bad stuff about optimas from the last few years. I'm sure mine will be dead when I get back home....glad I built the battery tray to fit the optima so 90% of the other batteries won't fit it
    "Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

'69 FJ-40, chevy383, sm420, 37's, RedNeckRam
    '08 Tundra SR5 Poser Douche Rig on 35's

Quote Originally Posted by TxCruzr
    wtf eric, you're slipping...those would be electric
    I thought some early 40s had air lockers stock, and changed to electric later?