Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: see anything rong with this

see anything rong with this

thinking about going this route instead of a z-link. the one pictured has a drop pitman arm so think i could mount the drag link on the other side of the steerin arm w/o any problems?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Well besides your spelling in the thread title why does the draglink attach to the bottom of the steering arm?
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

i figured since it was asian, "rong", is in proper text. i dont know why its mounted like that. i found the build up on the net and it looked like a neat idea. its a steering arm off a mercedes and susposedly bolts right up w/o or minor modification.

Quote Originally Posted by J Cooper
    ??
    i concur

Well hell if its an easy mod I'd do it. The draglink angle isnt severe enough for the way its mounted to be a problem. I will say though, with anything larger than 31's the sami axles will not last, period. One of my friends from corpus put 33's on his sami and the first time he wheeled it within 10 minutes both front birfields broke. Stick with 31's for now, they'll be cheaper anyway.
    On the 8th day god created the Super Swamper TSL and said "go forth and kick ass"

i wasnt planning on going over 31's. after i get the SOA done i need to do something to address the steering and theis seems to be the best route. well, looks better than a z-link and cheaper than a new drop arm atleast.

is a drop pitman arm a new and untested realm?

Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke
    is a drop pitman arm a new and untested realm?

cj has one welded on like that on the scout 44 on his jeep... works good

remember you CAN weld to cast... just know what the fawk your doing first

I wouldn't weld cast steering parts, even if I knew WTF I was doing. It's just too much risk.
    BDR

Ask Scotti how well a setup like that works.
    If you have to splurge on one thing make it your steering. Just say no to bootyfab steering.

Does that guy have a shock bolted to his pitman arm as a steering dampener? Please do not get any more ideas from him
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools

well it was done before he got the jeep. he got it from keelans buddy... who knows cody might have done the welding

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by uglyota
    Does that guy have a shock bolted to his pitman arm as a steering dampener? Please do not get any more ideas from him
    thats what it is stock.

the popular route seems to be the z-link, the other option is a drop pitman ar. both runaround $100. as were i can get a mercedes arm from another forum or ebay for around $20.

apparently you could spend $200 and do it right
    http://www.rocky-road.com/ottsteer.html
    as long as that mercedes arm has the bolt holes in the right place, puts the kingpin at the right depth and is strong enough, it is probably fine. And it's a trailer queen, right? Worst thing that could happen is you break it. Get two arms and carry a spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    damnit... if everyone is leaving i want my original 15 back... i dont wanna be left with these tools